Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Vtm4 expert needed!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Default Vtm4 expert needed!

Vtm4 expert needed!
  • Hello all. I have a 2003 Honda pilot... The issue started about two months ago when I purchased the vehicle the vtm4 light was constantly on because of a bad differential temp sensor. I replaced the sensor and the light stayed out a few days. Now the light will come back on after about 5 minutes of driving and when it does you can hear the vtm4 relay click (I'm assuming because the system sees a fault) I've pulled codes for both rear clutch electromagnetic solenoids. Now here's where it gets wierd. When the light isn't on I can watch live data of the rear solenoids and there in spec, I can also use my vtm4 button as normal and the four wheel drive engauges and works perfect as long as the light isn't on. So far we've checked the resistance of both solenoids (they were both in spec). Took a wiring diagram and ripped basically the entire rear trim apart so check all the wires as well as under the vehicle. Replaced the vtm4 relay, and made sure the power wire from the relay sub thats under the dash with the vtm4 relay is connected with good contact.... I've even replaced the fluid... The only other idea I've had was to replace the vtm 4 module. I also couldn't find any information on if I could just get a used module or if they were Vin specific I know the scans will that we have I can initialize a new one but I wasn't sure about a used one or even if that was the problem but I couldn't find many diagnostics for the module itself. One odd thing that I have noticed is most times let's say I leave work to drive home the light will turn on at the exact same time. but not always there sometimes when I can drive all the way home and it won't come on at all but almost every time I drive. Thank you of anyone can ease help!!!

Last edited by Matt Conforti; 12-06-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Picture