metallic "clink" when accelerating - The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Default metallic "clink" when accelerating

Hi Folks, hoping someone may point me in the right direction here...just picked up a sweet 2013 RTL Touring edition Ridgeline to replace my aging '06....have had it about 3 weeks and have noted a very consistent noise (presumably from the rear) whenever I take off from a dead stop...as I begin accelerating and get under way, with my windows open I can hear a loud, metallic "clink clink clink" sound, might happen once or twice and then zero issues while moving...any time I stop, it "resets" the issue and the noise is apparent again, always just once or twice at takeoff...it's a noise similar to that made when you run over a loose manhole cover, quick metal-on-metal tapping then nothing...no vibrations, can't feel it happen...they've checked e-brake, regular brakes are replaced/new, basically nothing found to be moving under the truck...doesn't seem to be affecting the performance, but it does have me a bit worried...cheers, any thoughts much appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
metallic "clink" when accelerating-img_4110.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Welcome in,not much help but I would start with the exhaust system,it's actually the only thing that is simi loose,check it while on a lift to see if anything is loose.im not sure where the spare is but on most trucks there is a piece that tightens into place to hold the spare secure,it may have worked its way loose,my F-350 dually has a bar and threaded rod hold it in place,mine worked its way loose and made a good bit of racket every time I took off.hope this helps.
Old Today, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbvhdoc View Post
Hi Folks, hoping someone may point me in the right direction here...just picked up a sweet 2013 RTL Touring edition Ridgeline to replace my aging '06....have had it about 3 weeks and have noted a very consistent noise (presumably from the rear) whenever I take off from a dead stop...as I begin accelerating and get under way, with my windows open I can hear a loud, metallic "clink clink clink" sound, might happen once or twice and then zero issues while moving...any time I stop, it "resets" the issue and the noise is apparent again, always just once or twice at takeoff...it's a noise similar to that made when you run over a loose manhole cover, quick metal-on-metal tapping then nothing...no vibrations, can't feel it happen...they've checked e-brake, regular brakes are replaced/new, basically nothing found to be moving under the truck...doesn't seem to be affecting the performance, but it does have me a bit worried...cheers, any thoughts much appreciated..
From the description, the universal joint on other vehicles I've owned comes to mind. I would ask them to check driveline components and connecting parts.

Last edited by phineas; Today at 03:28 AM. Reason: Clarity