Ball Joint Question - The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

Wheels and Tires All wheel and tire discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Angry Ball Joint Question

Good Afternoon, I have a question for your guys in here if someone can point me in the right direction. Let me give you some background first, Took my 05 Accord ex to Firestone for an alignment, While there I had the PA State Safety inspection completed and 4 new tires as well. 10 Days later not even 200 mile and the right lower ball joint completely separated while driving down the road. My question is this, Would the Balljoint have shown signs of possible failure 200 miles earlier when I got the safety inspection completed? I know they can fail without signs to the average driver but if an inspector was inspecting them, should they not have shown signs of excessive wear? Your thought and knowledge will greatly help. Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i do not know what the pa inspection includes, but for the wheel alignment, the tech should have caught any loose or worn items. ball joints are hard to see if worn. normally they are under some pressure from the strut springs. perhaps if the honda dealer worked the alignment they would have found it due to they know what wares on their make of cars.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:18 PM

Welcome in,you can check for ware yourself by jacking up the car with the wheels about 4" off the ground,take a tire iron ,place it under the tire and pull up against the tire,it should be solid with no give,if there is movement with minimum effort you have joint ware.it may not be bad enough to warrant replacement but any tire service store can tell you.