Wheels and Tires All wheel and tire discussion

Bridgestone's Potenza RE92 vs. Potenza G019

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Default Bridgestone's Potenza RE92 vs. Potenza G019

I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX 1.7 and I've had the same factory tires (Potenza RE92) on since getting it in 05' and after putting 70000 miles on it. Things are starting to get pretty slippery even in rainy conditions so I know it's time for new tires.

I have been mostly satisfied with the Potenzas RE92, I have to keep in mind I've had them for 70000 miles. I did a little research and narrowed it down to the same Potenza RE92s or the Potenza G019s.

With pretty much everything else equal, the G019s seem to have a significantly greater/better treadwear grade and I've read a couple of reviews of people preferring the RE92s.

It would be an open and shut case, but what I CAN'T understand is why the G019s seem to be on average $20 less per tire compared to the RE92 when they seem to be superior from what I've read.

My only guess is that I understand the RE92s seem to be a standard factory installed tire for A LOT of new cars, so perhaps when it comes time to replace most people just don't bother doing any research and go with the same tire again, hence the greater demand for them.

If anyone could give me any ideas or input here I would appreciate it!