CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2002 Honda CR-V LX FWD - Wheel/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Default 2002 Honda CR-V LX FWD - Wheel/tire questions

I have a 2002 Honda CR-V LX FWD with P205/70R15 steel wheels with tires that are all inflated to 35psi. However, the maximum pressure rating on the tires' sides are:

Front Left 35
Front Right 35
Rear Left 44 <-- brand new tire
Rear Right 35
Spare tire 35 <-- tire is inflated, but rim edge is beat up

The spare rim looks all beat up. My guess is the previous owner had one or more flats and somehow ended up with this arrangement. When I bought the car I didn't think to look at the spare wheel/tire.

A couple questions....

1. Is there any coorelation between "recommended" pressure and "maximum" pressure? I only see "maximum" pressure on the tires. My concern is based on the different tires on the vehicle (probably at some point the owner bought a tire with the right size but incorrect pressure rating)? Would it be safe to keep all four tires (including the one with the higher "maximum" pressure rating) at the same pressure level?

2. The spare rim matches the other four rims. The edge is beat up. Looks like there may have been a blowout and the driver kept driving on the bare rim. Surprisingly the spare tire appears to be seated properly. It measures the correct 35 psi pressure. Is it safe to keep this rim, or should I look to buy a $100-125 spare OEM steel rim?

Thanks,
Don

Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. recommended is what the factory (honda) feels is safe and comfortable to ride on. Maximum if what the tire maker says is safe to not cause a blow out of the tire. Tire pressure maximum will vary from tire maker to another maker. if the same size tire is put on but different maker, it is ok. the car wants to have all tires to pull the same, not a tall tire and short tire, this will cause drive train ware. all tires should be the same, a little less than max.
The spare rim is ok to use as a spare, as long as it does not go flat. If you want comfort of mind, go to a salvage yard to find a good spare rim. lesser at cost. sometimes a tire shop has spare rims.