CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2004 CRV AC Compressor...continuing issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Default 2004 CRV AC Compressor...continuing issue

My 04 Crv had a compressor failure in August 2010 with 77k miles. Honda was "gracious" enough to pick up some of the cost at the time. They authorized the replacement of the compressor with the old clutch and coil re-installed (which I did not know until recently). I was also told the coompressor did NOT have the catastrophic faliure.

In July 2013, I observed a clunking noise and intermittent warm air happening mainly during times stopped in traffic. The "clunk" seemed to be on the right side of the vehicle. During extremely hot days, it seemed the ac struggled to keep up and would never feel really cold. During a check, I found the condenser fan not operating. I ordered a new fan motor and installed it. After that, the ac seemed to operate normally.

On August 24, 2013, (113k miles) the compressor again failed. I called Honda and was told I needed to take it to a dealer in order for them to consider assisting. The dealer originally believed the problem with the clutch and/or coil with a replacement cost of $960. When I balked at the use of the old parts 3 years prior, the job price came down to $597. When the unit was removed from the vehicle, it was determined the compressor had failed. The dealer offered an aftermarket compressor (with clutch and coil) for the $597 price. BTW, Honda said no to assisting since they did a "goodwill" gesture 3 years prior.

When I picked up the car, I allowed it to run before leaving. I heard that familiar "clunk" and the air turned warm. I popped the hood and smelled a burning brake smell. I went directly to the service manager. After a mechanic checked it, he found the clutch was hanging up. So the Crv stayed. I picked the car up the next day with another compressor and everything seemed to work fine....until yesterday.

My wife drove the car a short distance, most of it highway miles. She heard the clunk sound and felt warm air blowing from the vents. She described the car as feeling like it was miss firing upon acceleration.

When I checked it at idle, the car was blowing cold air. I applied some gas and took the rpms to 2k. Within 30 seconds I had the clunking sound, warm air and the rpms jumping to 4k and back. This would occur in short bursts. When I released the gas the rpms bottomed out. It sounded as if the car had stalled. I had a family member hold the idle to 2k and watched the compressor. The front of the compressor (clutch?) would start and stop, with the engine jumping the idle range mentioned above. I cold hear the clunk sound but it appeared it was coming from near the firewall on the passenger (right) side. I took the car for a ride and it struggled as it got to 50 mph. It felt as it was miss firing. During the acceleration to 50mph, the air was cycling from warm to cool.

I know the ac compressor with this generation is an issue.

1. Does anyone know what the clunking sound is?
2. Has anyone had a similar issue and found it was a DIFFERENT part causing the ac compressor failure?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.