CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2008 CRV Mystery Brake Part

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:03 AM
Default 2008 CRV Mystery Brake Part

I tried to post this yesterday on the CRV forum and it still has not appeared on the forum. I don't know if the moderator did not think it relevant, or if I screwed up somehow. I will try again. This time I will keep a copy of what I write...

Our 2008 four door AWD CRV started making squealing noises when backing up. I jacked her up, pulled the wheels off, and checked the rear brake pads. Yup, the ones on the driver's side were very worn, and that was the wear indicator rubbing.

So I went to town and came home with a brake pad rebuild kit. After I had already disassembled one of the caliper mechanisms, I noticed this doohickey laying on the floor under where I had just been working:

mystery shim washer

It's a washer about 1-1/4” OD and 9/16” ID, with three short prongs in the middle.

I resolved to keep my eyes open while disassembling the other side, to see whether there was a similar doohickey there, and if so where it goes. And then, I am ashamed to admit, I got distracted and forgot about it while doing the disassembly. And afterwards discovered an identical doohickey laying on the floor under the second side.

My first thought was that these guys go inside the center hole in the caliper piston… but no, they don't fit in there.

I have a Haynes manual, and I looked at the brake pad section in there, but it's a generic manual for several models 2001-2010, so of course the photos and instructions are not very specific and don't show this part. It was not included in the parts supplied with the rebuild kit.

The place it looks like they might fit is on the caliper bracket mounting bolts, as a shim between the bracket and whatever you call the structure it mounts to. The prongs fit nicely in those holes, and the rust pattern on the doohickeys look like that might be a feasible location.

But if these things are a shim on this bracket, why was there only one washer on each side of the vehicle? There are two mounting bolts on each side. So, do they go on the top hole or the bottom one? Or somewhere else? What happens if I just leave them off ?

I'd appreciate any wisdom you other CRV owners have to offer. Thanks.

--Aerborial

Old 06-20-2022, 10:39 AM

Look at the bushings.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:58 PM

They belong to the bolts holding the brake caliper brackets to the knuckle.
There is one for each of the two bolts that hold the bracket in place.
I do my own brakes and see them in the knuckle where the bolts come out.
Sometimes they will fall out. Other times they will not move from place.
They do come out if you use a pick to pull them out.