CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2017 Lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Default 2017 Lift kit

Hello,

We tow our 2012 CR V EX L behind our motor home. We use to put our foldable electric bikes in the back but decided to insall a hitch and mount them on the hitch and Bike rack. The bikes are 80 lbs each. The car squats kind of low.
I was wondering if anyone has put a suspension lift kit which will raise the car about 2.5 inches or air shocks that will lift just the back while the bikes are on the rack. I thought about a lift kit because we like to venture off the beeten path and take dirt roads just to sight see so I thought a little more ground clearence wouldn't hurt.
All Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Old 04-06-2024, 01:25 PM
Default Rube Goldberg

It sounds like you are about to thrash marvelously. You did not specify which MH and that matters. I will also assume that you are flat towing.

Sooo, if you do not want to use the cargo area of your CRV for your e-bikes and putting that weight on your toad hitch causes the rear end to sag you likely have too much weight aft of the rear axle. In that case I suggest you consider a hitch splitter aka dual hitch on your MH. That solves your toad problem however, like I said, you did not say which MH.

I used one on my A to carry my recumbent and a Trek but could not use it on my B+ because of a rear bed slide. If the bike rack was a fold down I might have been able to get away with it.

Here is a heavy duty example:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...JFNI2MTWzNAHIV

YMMV

Last edited by Just Ducky; 04-06-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:57 AM

Thanks Ducky!
We went to the FL keys last year towing the CR V with the bikes on the back using a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F class A. Because we were gone for 2 weeks, we needed the CR V for othere needs so I installed a hitch on the car. we debate the dual hitch idea at that time but that would put the bikes up around 4 feet off the ground and thought removing them would be diffacult, (not as strong as I once was) so we decided on the later...
Well, we traded in the Sunstar for a 2018 Forest River Berkshire 39A(always wanted a pusher). the hitch on the MH is now much lower so I am thankful you mentioned the dual hitch idea to me, that is what I will go with, less expensive and easy install, I do all my own work so I wont have the hastle of installing air shocks or a lift kit!
thank you for your input!!!!