CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

'98 crv: instructions for interior disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:56 PM
Default '98 crv: instructions for interior disassembly

hello there,

tried on another crv forum to get some help with this, but nothing's happening

the common wet floor board on the driver's side! came to me like this and neither the previous owner nor I have been able to locate the source of the leak. i removed the cowl and the drain channel is not clogged. so, i have some ideas of where to look next, but i need to start taking stuff apart to have a look. i just don't want to start on it and have things break. you know the score.

i'm going to start by getting the driver's seat out. then, i need to get the inside trim around the door jam and kick panel out and perhaps take the front driver's side quarter panel off. i have an online manual loaded, but it's not very descriptive in procedure. is there a write up on this forum? can someone maybe offer where and how to begin? any help would be appreciated. thanks!!

matthew

Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by thook44
hello there,

tried on another crv forum to get some help with this, but nothing's happening

the common wet floor board on the driver's side! came to me like this and neither the previous owner nor I have been able to locate the source of the leak. i removed the cowl and the drain channel is not clogged. so, i have some ideas of where to look next, but i need to start taking stuff apart to have a look. i just don't want to start on it and have things break. you know the score.

i'm going to start by getting the driver's seat out. then, i need to get the inside trim around the door jam and kick panel out and perhaps take the front driver's side quarter panel off. i have an online manual loaded, but it's not very descriptive in procedure. is there a write up on this forum? can someone maybe offer where and how to begin? any help would be appreciated. thanks!!

matthew
You checked the drain channel but did you check the drain tubes on each side to make certain the drain channel moisture is actually flowing out of the car?

Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

welcme to the forum. have you checked to see if you have been adding any anti freeze, if not a 98 cr-v it is possible to have the front windshield seal leak water into the cab.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:09 AM

He got help at the other forum. Easy to track when people use the same name.
Turns out to be a sealant at the top corner of the windshield is leaking
The water from the roof rail or water channel brings the water to the crack in sealant and it drips down.
Would have been nice if he came back and let us know here???

Old 04-26-2021, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
You checked the drain channel but did you check the drain tubes on each side to make certain the drain channel moisture is actually flowing out of the car?
drain tubes? not sure what you mean as i've not seen any tubes, but what i'll call the "exit ports" (with the little rubber flaps) are clear of obstruction

Old 04-26-2021, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
He got help at the other forum. Easy to track when people use the same name.
Turns out to be a sealant at the top corner of the windshield is leaking
The water from the roof rail or water channel brings the water to the crack in sealant and it drips down.
Would have been nice if he came back and let us know here???
re: same name.....i'm predictable that way, keeps things simple for me
actually still not sure if that's the leak source or not. it's my next step, though since the rain has passed and the work weekend is over
well, i'm doing that now, eh? sometimes my notices don't arrive when they should, but i just simply overlooked it. i've just been busy

thank you. i do appreciate the replies, all. i will report what i find since apparently you care

Last edited by thook44; 04-26-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by thook44
drain tubes? not sure what you mean as i've not seen any tubes, but what i'll call the "exit ports" (with the little rubber flaps) are clear of obstruction
On each side of the channel there is a tube that drains the water from the channel out the bottom of the car. Run some water into the channel and you'll see where the water exits. Sometimes those tubes get blocked and I've always used a straightened metal coat hangar to clear them.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 PM

On each side of the channel there is a tube that drains the water from the channel out the bottom of the car. Run some water into the channel and you'll see where the water exits. Sometimes those tubes get blocked and I've always used a straightened metal coat hangar to clear them.
on a '98? are you sure? i just went out there and looked, again, and i don't see any tubes. are they behind the quarter panel/front fender or something?

oh, and to the original intention of the thread, any ideas for removing the interior trim? I gotta get that carpet up! would it be the same type of clips holding it all as with the windshield pillar trim? i managed to get that off without breaking anything last week

Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 PM

found the leak! poured water down the channel/exit port on the driver's side and watched it drain out from behind the plastic fender liner. then, popped my head into the cab and saw water streaming into the floor past the seams down there. still don't see any signs of tubing, but maybe that'll be evident when i get the fender liners down? i'll be doing brake pads while i have the wheel/s off, too

Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 AM

That is great. Found the leak. Now it is time to fix it!!! Yay.

Quick Reply: '98 crv: instructions for interior disassembly