CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Bad noise coming from belt area. Compressor? Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 01:14 PM
Default Bad noise coming from belt area. Compressor? Water pump?

2011 CRV. To start, I know describing a sound is impossible. I have an mp4 clip, but have to convert it. Started having a squeeling noise around the belt. Loud enough to hear in the car. Had a slight gurgle sound, I figured water pump was going. Been like this for a few months, no signs of any problems mechanically. Then a few days ago it started making a metal on metal sound, again no performance issues and no overheating. It wasn't steady, and when we got home it stopped. Yesterday I went to take it around the block a few times to listen, and when I started it, the sound was there. Looking under the hood the sound happens when the AC compressor disengages. Now I'm confused and don't know where to focus my attention. The AC compressor was not working last summer, but after some work on it I got that engaging again and has been working ever since. Does it spin differently on the belt when disengaged? I'm gonna try removing the face and making sure nothing is in there, but in my mind the noise should happen when engaged, not disengaged. Could this be the water pump working harder because the AC compressor isn't spinning? Any insight or direction would be a great help. We're just getting by and have no recommended mechanic in our area.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:35 PM

Slow down and take a breath. Use a stethoscope to hear.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by grcauto
Slow down and take a breath. Use a stethoscope to hear.
Id love to, but im not sure of what to listen to. I was thinking Mayne a sound meter to pin point where the sound is coming from?

Old 01-27-2024, 09:09 AM

As soon as you listen to the bad bearing you'll know. Just touch near where the bearing is. Avoid the belt or spinning things.

Old 01-27-2024, 04:27 PM

As soon as you listen to the bad bearing you'll know. Just touch near where the bearing is. Avoid the belt or spinning things.
A neighbor who does most stuff on his own vehicle like me listened to it and said it sounds like a bearing in the compressor. I don't care about the compressor dying, just don't want to do damage to the car by not knowing.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by hsicilian
A neighbor who does most stuff on his own vehicle like me listened to it and said it sounds like a bearing in the compressor. I don't care about the compressor dying, just don't want to do damage to the car by not knowing.
No good either. Bearings going bad produce heat, can literally fall apart, or lock up.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bubbalou88
No good either. Bearings going bad produce heat, can literally fall apart, or lock up.
Okay, say that happens and the compressor is shot. Do you know if that will cause issues with the belt or if the pully for the compressor would no longer spin freely? It's an expensive replacement, was quoted low end $1700, and obviously I can't do the work myself because of the refrigerant.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:37 PM

Okay, say that happens and the compressor is shot. Do you know if that will cause issues with the belt or if the pully for the compressor would no longer spin freely? It's an expensive replacement, was quoted low end $1700, and obviously I can't do the work myself because of the refrigerant.
I compressor locks up it will burn your belt up as the engine will continue to turn the belt

Old 01-28-2024, 10:39 PM

You don't know that it's bad. Your mechanic THINKS it may be. Does the noise go away with the AC engaged?

Old 01-28-2024, 10:44 PM

You don't know that it's bad. Your mechanic THINKS it may be. Does the noise go away with the AC engaged?
when it's engaged it has a slight squealing noise that sounds like a belt that needs to be replaced. When it disengages its an unconstant grind that changes in loudness and sometimes doesn't make that sound at all.

Quick Reply: Bad noise coming from belt area. Compressor? Water pump?