CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Brakes & Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Default Brakes & Transmission?

I have a '98 CR-V with about 53,000 miles on it. It seems to have already been giving me trouble. The transmission seems to jerk, but the 3 people that have looked at it find nothing wrong with it, except for one time the gears were starting to rub against each other...so there were metal shaving on a piece of it. This is causing my engine to make a sort of humming noise at times, as well.Also...my brakes don't really grind except for sometimes at the very end. I have had a couple of people look at those, as well...even myself. Everything looked great. It's a weird grinding sort of noise. Almost like a deep moan...
Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?
I am getting frustrated to the point where I am about to get rid of the car. Could these problems be just because the car is older?
I overpaid for it, BIG time.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Default RE: Brakes & Transmission?

Hi,

The transmissionshould not have any play in it unless its worn (except for some 4 wheel drive systems of the old Varity) check all wheels, CV joints, drive shaft are tight if so you have a worn part somewhere.

The metallic sounds from the gear box or engine pulleys could be its low on oil or a bearing is about to fail, the brake noise sounds like normal wear and tear so will probably need servicing.

Every car will let you down at some point but if you are like me were hoping a Honda would last a little longerthan the foreign competition.

As far as my Honda experience to date go they areno better, Iwould say they areworse or no better the British made cars of the past, that's funny my CRV is a British made?

Hope you manage to sort out your problems or manage to sell it easily.