General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission & Brakes? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Default Transmission & Brakes? Please help!

I have a '98 CR-V with about 53,000 miles on it. It seems to have already been giving me trouble. Among little things, the transmission seems to jerk, but the 3 people that have looked at it find nothing wrong with it, except for one time the gears were starting to rub against each other...so there were metal shaving on a piece of it. But people who have driven in my car agree that it jerks. This is causing my engine to make a sort of humming noise at times, as well. The steering wheel shakes a littleat times, but I think because I need my left ball joint replaced soon.Also...my brakes don't really grind except for sometimes at the very end. I have had a couple of people look at those, as well...even myself. Everything looked great. It's a weird grinding sort of noise. Almost like a deep moan and grind.
Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? It is driving me nuts.
I am getting frustrated to the point where I am about to get rid of the car. Could these problems be just because the car is older?
I overpaid for it, BIG time.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission & Brakes? Please help!

Aloha and welcome to the forum, hope we can help you out. If your cr-v is an automatic, has the trans fluid been changed, normally 15-30k miles. if its a standard, the clutch might be getting oil on it. the steering shake could also be wheel out of balance, or play in the steering system, or alighnment. The brakes, make sure you have good pads or linings, besure it has been cleaned out, should not have a grind sound, this is worn linings or pads. the low moan comes when the car is hardly moving and the brake is on very light, not applied heavy to stop. the slow creep may cause this low moan sound.