CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Default Clutch problems

I have a 2000 CRV with 5speed manual transmission. I have had problems with my clutch which is difficulty shifting gears. I might have trouble getting it to go into any gear, but shortly afterwards no problems. Later on down the road, it will be unable to get into any gear forcing me off the road and shutting off the engine. With the engine off, it will easily go into any gear. Turn on the engine and it works OK for a few shifts then repeat the process. Later, on same trip, restarting with it in gear, the car will move with the clutch pedal fully and firmly to the floor. But let it sit overnight, and no problem.

I know I may be needing a clutch change, but could this also be a clutch cable adjustment? Since I live way in the mountains away from a repairmen that I could take it too, I would like to begin the trip knowing I have a better chance of getting there. Also, I have notice for a long time and the dealer said it was supposed to be that way, but there is little play in the clutch pedal as it begins to engage with less than an inch (1/2?) of play when letting up on the clutch pedal.

Last question, the repair shop said you also need to machine or replace the fly-wheel with a clutch replacement. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for your time!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

depending on how much you ride your clutch, it may be worn, but if there is an adjustment available, adjust it to engage a bit higher. and yes it i standard practice to machine the fly-wheel or it may chatter on the new clutch or ware it faster than normal.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by acmech52
depending on how much you ride your clutch, it may be worn, but if there is an adjustment available
While my clutch may be approaching needing a replacement, it turned out to be a clutch master cylinder problem. Everything is now working well.

Strangely enough, after replacing the cylinder, I now have my cruise control back. I had not had a working cruise control for more than 60,000 miles, or several years! I figure one of the sensors for the cruise control must have been in the clutch master cylinder.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

good fix, thank you for your fix, perhaps there will be others with the same problem and will be able to fix it quick.