CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Crv wont start / no green key light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Default Crv wont start / no green key light

Hi Honda forum I'm currently having a problem with my 2003 k24 crv and its got me scratching my head , I hopped into the car one day and the car turned over but it would not start at all , So I checked all the fuses and battery terminals and tried again but my ignition lock barrel jammed in the process and I had to send the lock away to be rebuilt, so when I got it back I reinstalled the ignition barrel and I had the same problem again ,it turned over but wouldn't fire , so I called an auto electrician and he suggested it might be a crank angle sensor, so I ordered one and installed it yet it still wont run , He also checked the coils and they aren't making any spark either ,I also checked the plugs and they seem clean if a little bit white tho but I doubt that matters since I got no spark, I checked my relays in the engine bay and glove box and they all seem to be clicking and working fine however I have noticed that when I try to start the car I don't see the green key symbol on the dash and that makes me believe it could be a immobilizer related problem but I'm really not sure, Any and all advice would be appreciated because I would love to get back to driving this cool little 4x4. thanks

Old 03-30-2019, 12:50 PM

The little green key light comes on only for a split second if you are using the correct key
If using just a door key then the green key would stay lite and engine will not start.
The fact that you don't see (if the bulb isn't burnt out) the green key would mean that the immobilizer is working fine.

Checking for spark and not seeing it .. would make me want to see if there is any fuel pressure
In a quiet place, when key is first turned to "ON" position, the fuel pump is turned on to prime fuel rail.
Pump should run for a second or two then stop.
If both were missing then would suspect crankshaft position sensor.
One can put their finger on the injector and feel for a pulse
(not unusual to get a bad new part but lets do more troubleshooting first)

The ECU will need the cam shaft sensor to first start the engine
After that, it continues to monitor the sensor and uses the crankshaft sensor to continue running engine.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:01 PM

I'v repeatedly tried to start the car and I never see the green key light up, I use a fob remote to open the car and the key to start it , As for the fuel pump I can hear it prime every time I try to turn it over ,I'm pretty certain its working fine and I have already replaced the crank shaft sensor and I cleaned the cam sensors . It's a real head scratcher but I hope I get it sorted.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Turning the key to accessory should turn on all the dash lights for a second
The green key light only stays on for a split second.
But assuming that the fuel pump is working and injectors working (only for now) ...

You have no spark.That would lead to checking the coils.
No spark coming from coils says you need to check to see if it is getting 12 volts, ground, and signal from ECU.
If it is then replace coil. If not then go further to see what it wrong

Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Default Same no green key light

Sir did you ever get your CRV to work if you did what did you change I'm having the same problem on my 2002 CRV I've changed everything and still cannot get the green light key to flash at all please help me it will be very helpful thank you so much

Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 AM

Hello, why are you looking for the green immobilizer light.
When it comes on (and stays on), it means the wrong key is used
Or the immobilizer does not sense the right key is used
This will prevent the engine from starting.

If you are just looking for the green light then put aluminum foil around the key
that does not go into the ignition lock and try starting the engine.
This will prevent the immobilizer from reading the key
Also, look at the place you are at.
Certain places did not require an immobilizer and none was put in.

Are you having problems starting the engine?
Is this a "crank, no start"?? OR, a "no crank, no start"????

Note: For a crank no start, have you looked at the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor?
It can make the ECU prevent the engine from starting. If the ECU thinks the engine is overheated
It will prevent the engine from running.

Last edited by avisitor; 05-05-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:22 PM

Yes thank you for replying my message but know what I'm trying to say is that I do not get the green key to light up at all even when I put the right key it all happened after my alternator light went on and I rush it to make it home which I did and then when I woke up in the morning I try to start it and it wouldn't start anymore but the key light will not come on at all when before it was on for a little bit of seconds and then then we will go off after it will start

Old 05-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Default What makes green light key light up in dashborard

Mind is not coming on at all not when i take off keys not when i put the keys not when it cranks. By the way there is no spark getting to the coils but I have bought all 4 of them new and theres no in fuel injection I have change the crank sensor new spark plugs new knock sensor. Everything started happening as soon as the alternator light came on and the key light stop showing completely in dashboard

Old 05-05-2021, 07:14 PM

So, you are having a problem with the alternator?
Have you fixed the problem with the alternator?
Changed the alternator? Battery?

So, the engine cranks, turn over but will not start?
You have tested for spark and there is spark?
You have tested for fuel injector pulses and there is no injector pulse?
Did you spray starter fluid into intake (avoid the MAF sensor, they damage easy)?

Problem could be the immobilizer is not sending signal to ECM
Or, ECM is not sending signal to gauge control module to display the green light
At this point, it is very difficult to help. It can be the immobilizer or the ECM or both??
Sorry.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:05 PM
Default Same no green key light

I change the alternator. I have a brand new fuel pump, but I dont have spark or fuel from injectors and the green key light does not light up at all in the dashboard

Quick Reply: Crv wont start / no green key light