CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Get your clutch replaced before the warranty is up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Default Get your clutch replaced before the warranty is up

My 2010 with 72,000 miles has a bad clutch and coil. Took it to "Honda of Lisle" west of Chicago. Told them that I checked pressures, fuses, relay, and showed them a copy of the bulletin. They confirmed that it was a bad clutch assembly. Car was delivered 12/09, and out of warranty. then they told me that the job is $1500, but would give me 15% off. I told them that I purchased the car from them 18 months ago, it was under factory warranty for the first couple of months, I had it in for maintenance service 4 times and that since the bulletin was out prior to that that they should have looked at it before it became an issue. Service rider told me that they only look at things that are broken. I told them to change the oil and I'll pick it up. Went to the parts department and was told the clutch kit and coil are in stock, $360. Told him that I could get a whole compressor for less than that! He said to have a nice day.
When it comes to "Honda of Lisle" they only charged me for an oil change $39.32, that's great. I will never let their mechanics wrench on my V again.
I joined this forum yesterday and found this thread to be very informative. Thanks to all who put their expertise into it. Ordering clutch kit now. Between the tools that I have to fix a/c units, and the 4l60e I rebuilt, this will be a piece of cake.
Did I mention that the service and parts deparments at "Honda of Lisle" should be avoided at all costs?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 PM

service bulletin

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
crv ac service bulletin.pdf (753.5 KB, 778 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Default CRV 2008 AC problem-out of warranty

Have been waiting for airbag recall to be done to sell my 2008 CRV and upgrade to new one; this weekend AC failed, dealer says need to replace coil, clutch, pulley and then evac and recharge, sealers and both valves for $978+ tax. Customer service says even though problem with clutch is well documented will not help with cost so I can't really sell it now until AC is fixed. Non-dealer AC repair shop says it's better to replace whole compressor complete as there is something in there that will easily fail sooner rather than later and is cheaper and easier to replace whole unit (dealer says compressor is ok at this point). Their estimate is $840 + tax for the whole thing (an aftermarket part). Any ideas on which is better to do? Leave original compressor in or replace whole? No having any help from Honda even though I would have been rid of this car 2 years ago if airbag recall parts had been promptly available and installed; also just had to put out $1000 for 4 new brakes on it in the spring while waiting to sell

Old 07-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Changed out the clutch and coil yesterday, took almost 3 hrs.
spent too much time trying to get my ring pliers on the coil retaining ring, till I went and got the correct tool. The pully came off pretty easily with my 2 jaw puller, spun it off by hand, didn't use a wrench. I'd say the toughest part was blindly reconnecting the ground wire back on the top of the compressor.
$100 ebay clutch, and a couple of hours sure beat the $1500 quote from the "Honda of Lisle" stealership!

Last edited by edac; 07-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Wish you lived near me! I actually was just wondering if people thought it would be better to replace the whole compressor (one guy suggested to me that there is a switch or something inside that may be aging as well) or just the parts the dealership says I need. Do not know if an aftermarket compressor would be as good as the one on my 2008 CRV now. It is actually a bit cheaper to get the whole thing done.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Some of the mechanic's I talked to said it's a pain in the --- to change on the car, it is a little confining. Glad I did it this way, didn't have to open up the freon system. Blows as cold as ever! Looking at the old clutch I can tell it was failing for quite a while.
On the older V's you can access the clutch through the passenger wheel well. On the 07, it has a support in the way, the only way to remove the clutch face off the pully, you have to unbolt the compressor from underneath. It has hooks on the top to make it a lot easier, but make sure you get all 4 bolts started before tightening any of them up. The one video I saw on line still had a good coil, clutch gap was to wide, he took out the shim washer and got it working again.