CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Hard to find oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 04:26 PM
Default Hard to find oil leak

My first time to post. Working on my son's 2005 CRV with 185,000 miles. Impressive and persistent oil leak on the passenger side, front part of the engine. Already replaced v-tech solenoid and gasket, crank shaft seal and pcv in an effort to eliminate leak. Comimg from belt area, oil is being distributed by belt and/or accessories in that area. After cleaning area well, a short drive causes oil to get all over suspension, strut area and run down control arm and oil pan. I am stumped. Any ideas or experience will be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:18 PM

A busted CV boot will spread out like an oil leak??
Crank seal is all I think could leak oil in that area but you have fixed that?
Sorry don't know

Old 02-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum only thing i can think of is the cam seals, valve cover gasket, the round plastic plug on the head. after you clean it this time just idle the engine or up the rpm and see if you can see where it might be coming from.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 AM

I appreciate the feedback. This is what I needed, some specifics on what and where to look. I just have no idea what else in that area could spring a leak. I will take this information and do some more investigating. Thanks.
Any other ideas are welcome.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:18 PM
Default New developments:

Well I am still working on this. After adding dye to the oil I discovered the actual source is in a different spot from suspected. The leak has gotten worse, creating a puddle of oil on the garage floor in less than 5 minutes of idling. Here is a pic of the general area, marked by the arrow. The oil runs to the left, runs down the engine and draining off the oil pan and into the serpentine belt which disperses it everywhere. I am asking for ideas of what might could be leaking in this area. It is not the valve cover gasket, it is lower into the engine. Appreciate the insight.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:19 PM

Mirror and a light to inspect the area

Old 03-25-2021, 08:34 AM

Intake removed, you can see where the oil has pooled. No clear idea where it leaks from. Amy ideas?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:37 AM

Intake removed, you can see where the oil has pooled. No clear idea where it leaks from. Amy ideas?

Old 04-07-2021, 01:54 PM

Timing Belt cover??

Old 04-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

timing belt cover does not hold oil, just a cover for the belt and gears, and water pump.

Quick Reply: Hard to find oil leak