CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Immobilizer issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Default Immobilizer issue

Hey y'all, I'm new here. Haven't posted on a forum in God knows how long. I usually just find a solution/answers by researching, but now I am posting for some help hopefully because I can't figure this problem out and was wondering if anyone has come across a similar problem.

Long story short, I got this 2003 Honda CRV, manual, 320k km (that needed some work) as a beater/work vehicle. After being towed to my home, the seller couldn't find the keys. He didn't have them and effed me over and disappeared. So I got a key cut and programmed blabla. Car would crank but no start. Started diagnosing and fixing/replacing things as needed. Did everything from fuses, relays, wiring, fuel, air, etc... To get the car going. Got it running. And then all of a sudden it wouldn't start again and discovered the coils weren't getting spark. Then I discovered something that I believe is cutting off the spark that I cannot figure out.

Basically, the immobilizer indicator green key light symbol thing that flashes on dash disappeared. Before this happened it was functioning normally. Light would blink couple times with key in ignition and go away. Would blink and stay if the key wasn't the right key, which is normal to my knowledge. But now, no matter what key I use the green key light doesn't come on at all. Which leads to me thinking that whatever component reads the key is not reading a key period. Light bulb for indicator does work and lights up on dash when testing wire (for green key light indicator) on 7 pin connector that connects to the immobilizer receiver. Hope all this makes sense lol, I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.

One thing to note is that car does not throw any CEL on dash (CAT is removed), nor does an OBDII scanner link to vehicle (tried multiple different ones) which is weird because it should throw at least one code up. There's nothing weird electronically that I've noticed (short, fuses blowing, power things like doors and windows not working). Everything else other than car starting works lol.

Also tried Brake Code to temporarily disable immobilizer, still no go. To my knowledge, after successfully doing the brake code method, the green key light should come on and blink a few times or whatever to confirm brake code worked, but again no green key light. Only time I can get it to come on is by going from ground to wire for indicator light on 7 pin connector (for immobilizer receiver) with a test light. Also, when ignition is in ON mode, the CEL doesn't come on even then, when all/most dash lights come on. I did see CEL come on and off randomly once when testing wires. Never got it to do it again though.

Anyways, so because the car is not reading the key at all (to my understanding), spark is cut off. If anyone has ever come across something like this please shed some light on the issue or guide me in the right direction. Not sure if ECM is fully functioning but from the tests I have done, everything seems to be working fine. There seems to be power wherever there's supposed to be in regards to wiring/switches/connectors to fuse box(es), main relays and ECM.

There is lots of stuff online about the green key light that flashes and then goes solid (meaning immobilizer is not recognizing the right key) event though the key is the correct key, but can't find nothing online about the green key light not coming on at all. Did read one thread that seemed to be about similar problem but no solution. If I remember anything else that needs to be mentioned, I will do so.

Thanks for your time for reading this!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:07 PM

5 volt reference?

Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2323
Hey y'all, I'm new here. Haven't posted on a forum in God knows how long. I usually just find a solution/answers by researching, but now I am posting for some help hopefully because I can't figure this problem out and was wondering if anyone has come across a similar problem.

Long story short, I got this 2003 Honda CRV, manual, 320k km (that needed some work) as a beater/work vehicle. After being towed to my home, the seller couldn't find the keys. He didn't have them and effed me over and disappeared. So I got a key cut and programmed blabla. Car would crank but no start. Started diagnosing and fixing/replacing things as needed. Did everything from fuses, relays, wiring, fuel, air, etc... To get the car going. Got it running. And then all of a sudden it wouldn't start again and discovered the coils weren't getting spark. Then I discovered something that I believe is cutting off the spark that I cannot figure out.

Basically, the immobilizer indicator green key light symbol thing that flashes on dash disappeared. Before this happened it was functioning normally. Light would blink couple times with key in ignition and go away. Would blink and stay if the key wasn't the right key, which is normal to my knowledge. But now, no matter what key I use the green key light doesn't come on at all. Which leads to me thinking that whatever component reads the key is not reading a key period. Light bulb for indicator does work and lights up on dash when testing wire (for green key light indicator) on 7 pin connector that connects to the immobilizer receiver. Hope all this makes sense lol, I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.

One thing to note is that car does not throw any CEL on dash (CAT is removed), nor does an OBDII scanner link to vehicle (tried multiple different ones) which is weird because it should throw at least one code up. There's nothing weird electronically that I've noticed (short, fuses blowing, power things like doors and windows not working). Everything else other than car starting works lol.

Also tried Brake Code to temporarily disable immobilizer, still no go. To my knowledge, after successfully doing the brake code method, the green key light should come on and blink a few times or whatever to confirm brake code worked, but again no green key light. Only time I can get it to come on is by going from ground to wire for indicator light on 7 pin connector (for immobilizer receiver) with a test light. Also, when ignition is in ON mode, the CEL doesn't come on even then, when all/most dash lights come on. I did see CEL come on and off randomly once when testing wires. Never got it to do it again though.

Anyways, so because the car is not reading the key at all (to my understanding), spark is cut off. If anyone has ever come across something like this please shed some light on the issue or guide me in the right direction. Not sure if ECM is fully functioning but from the tests I have done, everything seems to be working fine. There seems to be power wherever there's supposed to be in regards to wiring/switches/connectors to fuse box(es), main relays and ECM.

There is lots of stuff online about the green key light that flashes and then goes solid (meaning immobilizer is not recognizing the right key) event though the key is the correct key, but can't find nothing online about the green key light not coming on at all. Did read one thread that seemed to be about similar problem but no solution. If I remember anything else that needs to be mentioned, I will do so.

Thanks for your time for reading this!
Im having the exact same problem here but no solutions

Old 05-06-2021, 08:45 PM

Check fuses again. Then check ECM for powers and grounds.
Then check immobilizer for powers and grounds
It just sounds to me like a rodent chewed some wires
Or they rubbed and frayed.