CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Intermittent steering wheel shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Post Intermittent steering wheel shake

I have a '09 CRV with about 88,000 miles. A few months ago I noticed an intermittent shaking of the steering wheel above 50 mph or so while accelerating. I had the front end aligned, tires re-balanced and front end checked for torn boots , loose joints,etc at one of those front end/tire /strut places. Problem persisted. It may happen once a week or not for 2 weeks or happen everyday for a week. I can even feel it coming on with a vibration in the seat of my pants. So, I took it to my mechanic and he found nothing (and he's usually pretty good). Bought new tires, had front end alignment checked again, re-balanced the new tires and it is still happening. Sometimes the shaking is slight and sometimes scares me to death. Any thoughts? Someone said a broken axle,but the symptoms don't seem to match up. No clicking sounds, grinding, no problems braking.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Be sure to check the rear suspension parts, especially if you feel it first in the seat of your pants. Is it all wheel drive? If so check the drive shaft as well as the transfer case. Remove the drive shaft and drive it. If the U joints are good but the vibration goes away, check the transfer case. Also, replace the fluid in your rear with Honda Dual Pump Fluid. Good luck.