CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Movement in steering wheel when turning

Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Default Movement in steering wheel when turning

I have an '08 with 160K miles. When I am on a cloverleaf type on ramp that requires the wheel to be held to the right for some distance, the steering wheel moves back and forth slightly. The car does not change direction, it feels like something has some slop in it somewhere. I can not see or feel anything obviously wrong with the steering BUT I am not an expert at diagnosing steering problems, My thought is a worn tie rod end but I don't want to randomly throw parts at it. Also, it has recently started a new quirk. It pulls to the right while driving straight for about the first 3 miles, then it drives straight. The tire pressure is correct and the road surface is not the issue. Thanks for any and all input!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

have you ever had the cr-v in for a 4 wheel alignment, then be sure the tires are balanced. if these two items have been done and it still moves back and forth, check the rotors for warp. if you drive long and use the brakes a lot and stop for long periods with your foot on the brake, it can warp the rotor/disk to cause a mild wobble. also during an alignment the mech can tell you if there i any bushings worn, they check for this.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM

It is not the rotors as I have replaced them. I was going to schedule an alignment for the pulling to the right issue but I thought I would throw it out there beforehand to see if others have experienced the same symptoms first. I had taken another vehicle in for a front end alignment only to be called by the shop advising that the tie rod ends were bad. I picked it up, did the work and had to re-schedule. Just trying to get in front of their findings. Thanks for your response!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 PM

I just got a 2007 CRV EXL AWD and noticed what I'd call steering wheel "wobble" when driving through turns on curvy roads. Seemed to notice it most when accelerating through turns, even at relatively slow speeds (i.e. 25-30 mph). I wasn't sure if this is characteristic of AWD CRVs or not. I'm new forum member, and tried to generate new post seeking insight into suspension wear that may be causing this, as well as rattling noise (seems like suspension-related) on really clean, well running, smooth shifting, no tire wear present top-end 2007 CRV. Not sure if we're seeing the same problem/symptom or not.

Prior to this I've never been a Honda owner, always too expensive. I haven't found a trustworthy local Honda CRV/SUV mechanic I'd trust to help me understand what's typical for this vintage AWD CRV. Appreciate any and all insight (if this post goes up).

Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 AM

My newly aquired CR-V does this too. I asked my mechanic about it, and he told me with absolute certainty that it is a bad CV joint that causes it.

The reason it happens when turning is because the bad part of the joint provides intermittent drag on the wheel it turns. When the drag occurs, it pulls the steering toward the affected wheel.

So there you have it... According to my mechanic, at least.

I've driven many miles with "bad" CV shafts before, so I'm not too worried about it, but it might be on my list for later.