CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Looking to purchase either a 2018 or 2019 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Post Looking to purchase either a 2018 or 2019 CRV

I'm sure this thread comes up a lot on here, but I'm looking to purchase a Honda CR-V late October early November. I've been told by many people that Honda's are long lasting and very reliable which is exactly what I'm wanting as I've had my current vehicle for 10 years (a lot of thanks to my father who is a mechanic). My father was a Ford mechanic for years and isn't too keen on me thinking of going foreign. I'm open to learning how people feel about the new models of CR-V. Is there a specific year that is better than another or are they all about the same in reliability outside of the upgrades they come out with with each new year. A specific model of the CR-V that is better/best? Which engine size to go with? Any and all input is much appreciated!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. cr-v's with the 1.5L turbo in cold climate has fuel going into the oil system, Honda does not have a fix for that at this time. yes Honda's are long lasting and keep their value good as long as they are maintained. Honda's can go 300k miles easy. American motors now lasts longer, 200k but start eating more oil. My Honda Fit currently at 290k only changed the cat. 02 civic 320k+ timing belt and water pump each 120k miles. there are cr-v owners on this forum that may be able to assist you better on better years. we also have the honda HR-V at 20k with no problems-- to new but the 1.6 engine has been a proven engine. most of my Hondas have been in the family 12+ years with min maintenance. If i could go back to 1964 tell your dad, i would purchase the galaxy 500 with the single overhead cam, 500 stock hp engine and keep it to this day.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:19 AM

From what I understand, they are already fixing the 2017/18 and the 19s would have the fix installed before they hit the market...I cant find anything on the 2019 having this issue.
If you want a CRV move fast, they have good deals going on that will end on 9/3... they may do something again when the 2020s come out (to get rid of the 19s)

we just got an EX and its fantastic!

Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 PM

I have a 2019 CR-V Touring model. It rides and handles nice ,and fantastic fuel millage with the ECO on. Don't know what it does ,unless maybe it activates the turbo charger when off. Once you shut the eco off the gas millage isn't that good .,but it gives the vehicle so much more power I'd swear it was a v-8 racing engine . All that power from a 1.5 eng .
The diplay is a nightmare to use , it even has a warning that comes on saying not to try using it while driving . ,like changing settings .
I don't like all the modern stuff , like it steers for you , keeping it between the white lines ,you don't need to touch the wheel,it steers you in your lane around curves and everything..
I think all new SUV's have this , but Honda has better resale than the others, plus better reliability .
The off/onn button is confusing , there is no ignition switch , just the button you push , but again , they are all coming that way now.
.I'd say get the CR-V awd, but not the more expensive Touring model.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Also, check out the mpg rates before choosing one. I usually use https://mpgfinder.com/honda to compare mine periodically. If you are not sure about the true mpg of the car don't buy it

Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 PM

I was considering the sport Rav 4 , or Subaru sport Forrester , but didn't feel comfortable in the Rav 4..
The forester I loved , except that the warranty is not something the are said to live up to .
The " Lemon aid Book" said they recommended buying the extended warranty. .
I find the C R-V is to low to the ground .
I was stuck with all 4 wheels turning because of low undercaridge.
My 2014 Patriot was higher , and I could change oil without raising the vehicle, unlike the Honda.
The only plus is the fuel milage.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

just for info, turbo charger is always in use, in or out of eco. as long as exhaust is coming out, the turbin fins are spinning. same as supercharger.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:28 PM

I asked the dealer's rep what the ECOMO button actually did .
He gave me a non answer .
I'm interested in what actually and physically occurs when activated.
I always have ir turned on, and get far better km 's per liter than Honda advertises. .
I have plenty of power , but noticed once while checking the on off of the ECO button , to see if there was a difference .
I was amazed at the additional power when accelerating hard with the ECO off ,compared to with it on.
It is hard for a senior like me who in my day had "hot muscle cars" which were fast for their day , to find a tiny 1.5 L turbo eng would no doubt keep right up with the big 6.6 L V-8 eng my Firebird Trans Am had..

Old 10-04-2019, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

the ECO button. throttle response felt at highway speeds is stronger, allows a/c compressor to go on and off more often to save fuel, allows trans to not shift down as quick to save fuel. the new engines 1.5 turbo develop more power due to improved compression , reduced friction, optimized transmission, off set crank, weight reduction in reciprocating parts, low tension piston rings, improved bearing oil seal. engine is almost or close to blue printing of our muscle car engines. Strongest muscle car i had was a 69 dodger super bee with a 440 built, full race, 400+ at the wheels glass hood,headers, i could not past a gas station, and used aviation fuel when ever i could get it. it did do wheelies.