CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Oil leaking in 2002 honda crv

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Question Oil leaking in 2002 honda crv

Hi guys/gals

I'm new here, I was leaving for school this morning, I have a really bad leak underneath my car, it's towards the front passenger side, the outer aspect underneath is completely soaked... I'm not a car guy, I know enough to get me in trouble. I need some help here. I am getting the car into the shop tomorrow. I'm wondering if I have a loose or broke seal.

I also have exhaust issues. I can't seem to get my car to accelerate up over 60 mph without it cutting out and de-accelerating. I finally nursed it back to my house, I put oil in it initially when it first started doing the "jerky cutting out" and it seems the oil just leaks right out.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. purchase some brake cleaner fluid (aerosol) from a car parts store, and wash down the oily area and wipe clean. do not spray belts. run engine and view for leaks. if its going into the shop tomorrow, let them work on it and tell you what's leaking

Old 10-05-2022, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. purchase some brake cleaner fluid (aerosol) from a car parts store and wash down the oily area and wipe clean. do not spray belts. run engine and view for leaks. if its going into the shop tomorrow, let them work on it and tell you what's leaking
Hey, thank you, the shop looked at it, says I need to replace the Variable valve timing oil control valve solenoid, replace valve cover gasket, also said to replace sparkplugs, he said a couple of my cylinders were misfiring. I bought the supplies myself and I have one of my buddies fixing it for me. I have a Honda crv 2.4 2002. I'll keep that in mind about the brake fluid aerosol cleaner.