CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Persistent Starting Issue and Error Codes in My 2013 CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 08:59 AM
Default Persistent Starting Issue and Error Codes in My 2013 CR-V

Hey everyone,

I've got a bit of a head-scratcher with my 2013 CR-V that I'm hoping you all can help me with. A few months back, I ran into this weird problem for the first time. When I tried starting my car in the morning before work, it just wouldn't kick in on the first try. It took me like three attempts, waiting about 5 seconds between each, while holding the ignition key turned. And to top it off, I saw these error lights pop up for the engine, steering wheel, and traction control.

So, I took my ride to my trusty mechanic. They swapped out the VTC activator, which had been making this odd sound on cold starts for a while now. They also did some code cleaning to clear out any gremlins. But guess what? The starting issue didn't budge. Oh, and by the way, this whole thing seems to happen mainly in the mornings.

What's really weird is that after leaving the car untouched for a day, it magically sorted itself out. Started up perfectly fine, and those error lights just vanished. But wouldn't you know it, a few days later, it's back to square one.

My mechanic then decided to tackle the timing chain and tensioner, thinking that maybe a stretched chain was messing with the crankshaft position sensor readings – the culprit behind the starting hiccup and error codes.

Here's the kicker – even after the timing chain replacement, I faced the exact same problem this morning. So now we're thinking about giving the crankshaft position sensor itself the old heave-ho.

I'm turning to you all, hoping someone might have gone through something similar or has some savvy advice to share. Your insights mean the world to me, and any help you can throw my way would be seriously awesome.

Thanks a million for checking this out and lending a hand. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Cheers,

Old 08-17-2023, 12:49 PM

Your mechanic is going with the most expensive GUESS first approach. Should have thrown a crank sensor in it first.