CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2014 CRV with starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Default 2014 CRV with starting issue

Does anyone have a suggestion for what this might be? New starter installed less than 2 years ago. For the last six months, intermittently, the starter will take 2 - 3 tries for the car to start, and when it does, all of the warning lights: traction control, headlight out, engine light all turn on and stay on, although the car drives fine. On Friday, the vehicle was serviced to correct this, with a $500 repair to the drive belt which they told me was the issue. Less than 48 hours later, it happened again. Oddly enough, the starting issue will happen for a day or two, then the vehicle will start without issue, and no warning lights come on. Thank you for any suggestions anyone might offer.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by FinnCRV
Does anyone have a suggestion for what this might be? New starter installed less than 2 years ago. For the last six months, intermittently, the starter will take 2 - 3 tries for the car to start, and when it does, all of the warning lights: traction control, headlight out, engine light all turn on and stay on, although the car drives fine. On Friday, the vehicle was serviced to correct this, with a $500 repair to the drive belt which they told me was the issue. Less than 48 hours later, it happened again. Oddly enough, the starting issue will happen for a day or two, then the vehicle will start without issue, and no warning lights come on. Thank you for any suggestions anyone might offer.
Does the starter always crank the engine but sometimes the engine fails to start? Need clarification.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:25 PM

Thank you, grcauto. To answer your question, when the ignition is turned, the car will attempt to start, but it won't fully turn over. Upon a second or third attempt, it will start, but not right away. When it does start, the warning lights come on and stay on for the duration the car is driven. It may happen the next few times I try to start the car and then, for no apparent reason, the car will start right away, with no warning lights on. I'm wondering if it could be a loose wire or faulty connection of some kind. It definitely wasn't the $500 'repair' from Friday which was very disappointing.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:26 PM

Does the starter work correctly? They terminology you use is wrong and confusing.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:25 AM

like this
Had starter replaced twice"reman was piece of **** and noisey", then 9 yr old batter,
first vid on no start
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qv4uYZ1W2ZoRU72B6
second start with alarms lit"also have a lite with steering wheel that will come on"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4m4KfDK8YDT9Et29
Then had crankshaft sensor,both camshaft sensors.No visible damage on crankshaft.
Each replacement since battery was started multiple time at shop and was ok to go.
Next day wouldnt start first try, just turned over.Started on second try with most fault light lit and staying lit.
Drive and park and next time all was fine.
each sensor was replaced 1 at a time,codes cleared,tested and started fine then sometime next day sometimes a few days later same issue occurred.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:37 PM

There are many things that can cause hard starts.
Spark plugs, ignition coils, injectors, wiring issues, corrosion on certain wires, faulty crank sensor or faulty cam sensor, etc
So, the question becomes what was done to the vehicle so far?
Usually, people change the spark plugs and ignition coils.

What is your skill level?
Can you do tests on the engine?

Old 07-22-2023, 06:52 PM

The shop that did the work needs to fix it right.
What were the codes?

Old 07-23-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FinnCRV
The question is whether this is a crank, no start
Or is it a no crank, no start.
Terminology is important because each points to different circuits.
One is a starter circuit and the other is a running circuit

Intermittent issue will be one of the most difficult to diagnose
Testing and will it pass because it is good for now or what??

Why would a drive belt cause electrical issue on the dash?
This sounds more like a wiring issue or electronics issue??
Many times it can be a corroded ground
If that then clean all ground contacts.
Check battery and clean posts and cable terminals
Look back into the cable crimp and see if there is corrosion
Follow ground cable to chassis and clean contact points

Old 08-17-2023, 08:40 AM

Were you able to grasp the underlying cause? I'm facing an identical issue. I replaced the VTC activator and the timing chain with the tensioner just a week ago. Surprisingly, this morning I encountered the same problem where my car wouldn't start on the first try, just like in the original video you shared. To make matters worse, error messages also appeared.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:45 PM

Two weeks after I bought a brand new Hyundai Elantra Limited if let sit over night it took several seconds of starter turning before engine would start. Fine if started again after only 2-3 hours. In my case it was the fuel pump with bad check valve allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank. Replaced fuel pump and all then ok.