Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter(ing) issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Default Starter(ing) issue

I have a 90 Honda Accord. The harmonic balancer came apart -- with bang of course. I replaced it but when I went to start the engine it wouldn't crank. The dash lights would dim, there is a distinct click up front but I don't think it is the solinoid, then everything dims. I turned the key back to the "off" position and tried again with the same results as above. I took the starter out and had it checked at the local auto parts store. It works fine. I've gone so far as to jump from the positive turminal to the starter and then a small lead from the positive terminal to the small terminal on the solinoid and the starter cranks the engine. It doesn't do it from the ignition, though.

It has the characteristics of a car that's been in a crash where the fuel and starter are cut off. I don't know how to reset the system to allow it to start again. Any ideas on what happened and/or how to get it to start properly?