Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STARTER ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Default STARTER ISSUE

Let me try this again to see if I can get the real guru out there. I have a 90 Honda Accord. The harmonic balancer came apart which Ireplaced without a hitch. But when I went to start the engine it wouldn't crank. The STARTER wouldn't engage. The dash lights would dim when the key was turned to the start position.A distinct loud click up front is heard but I'm sure it isn't the solinoid.Everything dims after the click. I turned the key back to the "off" position and tried again with the same results as above. I took the starter out and had it checked at the local auto parts store. It works fine. I've gone so far as to jump from the positive turminal to the starter and then a small lead from the positive terminal to the small terminal on the solinoid and the starter cranks the engine. It doesn't do it from the ignition, though.

Is there a fusible link that I should be looking for and where might it be? Are the symtoms more of the main breaker gone afoul or what?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Default RE: STARTER ISSUE

OK, here I am replying to my own post. But, I have news. I jumped from the battery (+) to the starter (+) and had someone crank the engine from inside. The car started. I get 12+ volts from the battery to the starter. I can feel the solenoid click when the key is turned to the start position. Any ideas what is going on? I'm leaning toward the main relay but would like to know for certain.

Scott

Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Default RE: STARTER ISSUE

Got it. It was the positive cable. It wasn't a fusible link. But I was looking for one in the cable. There isn't one in the cable. There was so much corrosion under the red rubber boot that it blocked off the current to the starter. Cleaned it up, cranked it up, and saved $38 bux at Auto Zone.