CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Smoke (coolant?), VSA OFF indicator, wet radiator and CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:48 PM
Default Smoke (coolant?), VSA OFF indicator, wet radiator and CEL codes

Hello, everyone.
This is my first post on this forum.
Today I experienced some problems with my CRV. it's 2010 w 180K miles.
Problems: the car was driven 5-10 miles, when parked I noticed a smoke from the hood. I opened it up in a few minutes, noticed smoke coming from left front side right behind the radiator (that's a pass. side). That area or radiator was wet as well as the low part of that plastic intake manifold. There are liquid drips on the engine splash cover (bottom) and they smell like a coolant (not oil for sure). Other symptoms: VSA OFF light is one, ECL is also on, left turns produce some kind of noise and vibration. From the cabinet, the noise appears to "radiating' from the pedals area.
I let the car cool for another couple of minutes and drove back home - same thing - smoke and all.
Engine temp during incident was NOT observed. Other temperatures: front calipers - 150F, front disks - 182F, Power Steering pump - 150F.
Fluids: motor oil is low - just below low mark, Coolant was NOT checked - too hot yet.
CEL is on and computer throws codes: P0117 (ECT sensor Circuit low input), P0171 (lean condition - I read this code a few days ago, but CEL was NOT lit), and 83-1 ECM/PCM relation Failure).
When it'll cool down, I'll check coolant level in the radiator.
Other minor problem which were observed before: A/C will blow warm air when driving at HIGH speeds and will blow cool air at idle or at low speeds (like 30mph).

I suspect a low coolant level and, possible, a leaking radiator.

I posted this thread in hopes to get more information as to what needs to be checked before I get crazy with removing the parts left and right.

I will post more information and my findings later.

Happy Labor Day, I guess....