CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 09:04 AM
Question Transmission Issues

Hey guys, quick question. I have a 2014 CR-V LX, Sometimes when I press the pedal to the floor is wants to take it's time getting up to speed. It has 125k miles on it, I've done one drain and fill on the transmission, I was gonna do 3 per Honda tech advise but I wanted to come here and ask what y'all think. Also if I mash the gas when I'm pulling out in traffic it'll reach 4-5k RPM before a shift occurs. Any ideas drop them here, thanks.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:46 AM

How long have you owned the car? How long has this been going on? If the trans is not slipping why condemn it?
Need some history.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:01 AM

I've had the car for just over a year, love the car, just worried about the trans, def not getting rid of it if i can fix it or have it fixed and it's been happening since i went on a 1k mile trip back in Christmas 2022

Old 09-05-2023, 06:46 PM

Hi.
In general, Honda's trannies are very "fine" and their ATF must be changed very frequently - like every 30,000 or 15,000 miles. The proper intervals should be mentioned in the owners manual. Most people (who are aware of possible tranny problems) change ATF with every other oil change. The procedure is to drain and re-fill. ATF level must be checked right after tranny went thru all the gears to park and engine shut off. Underfilling will result in jerking and slipping, Overfilling - leads to some other bad things. In your case, I would assume that the ATF was never changed. In this case, when ATF service was neglected, Honda's manual suggests to perform 3 drain and fill operations, until ATF looks as new (and yet another drain and fill, if needed??) The vehicle must be driven a few miles in between the drain and fills.
There is a replaceable inline filter, which is "conveniently" located above tranny very close to driver side (below brake booster). When you replace it, be very gentle with aluminum radiator that connects to aTF lines and is situated on top of tranny, close to flywheel. Honda's design... Each re-fill needs about 3 quarts (again - check your manual).
Also, it doesn't hurt to add Red Lubegard - it helps a little. A lot of Odyssey owners use it with ATF refills. Don't overfill.
Edit:
check for error codes.
Some A/T solenoids have screens, which may be clogged and prevent proper fluid flow.

Last edited by wwdwgs; 09-05-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: more