CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Why left exhaust pipe snoring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 02:08 PM
Default Why left exhaust pipe snoring?

I have 2024 Honda CRV.
I noticed the left exhaust pipe snoring while idling in the parking. I don't know if I have that sound during driving. When I turn off the engine the left exhaust pipe makes a loud snoring-sneezing sound. Here is the link to video. I put my phone behind the exhaust pipe and recorded pressing the gas pedal while parking (see recording attached). You can hear that once I release the gas pedal the snoring comes back. And you can also hear somekind gear noice right before the snoring comes back after I releas the gas pedal.
There is no even smoke from left exhaust like from a right one. There is no engine light, no weird sounds under the hood. I think I noticed it happening when first heavy snow started, but maybe it's just a coincident.
What can be the problem? Can it be that something is clogged inside that left exhaust? How do I check?

Attached Files
Old 02-03-2024, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like there might be something loose or blocking the exhaust system. Being it is a new CRV might have the dealership service dept check it out. Also check other 24 CRV for same noise.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
Sounds like there might be something loose or blocking the exhaust system. Being it is a new CRV might have the dealership service dept check it out. Also check other 24 CRV for same noise.
I have a 2024 CR-V EX and it does not do this

Old 02-04-2024, 10:57 AM

The problem is I don't know how easily to reproduce it. It doesn't always happen. I just afraid that when I'll come to dealership they might say "well, since it's not happening right now we cannot do anything...."

Old 02-04-2024, 11:30 AM

Have you taken a bright flashlight and looked into the tail of the exhaust pipe to see if something is in it partially blocking it

Old 02-04-2024, 07:03 PM

Sounds like a vibration.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:26 PM

So do you think something is loose in the exhaust system somewhere grauto?

Old 02-04-2024, 11:45 PM

As far as I could see, I don't see anything blocking. Although I can't easily reproduce the "snoring" noise, what seems to ALWAYS happen is that the left exhaust always makes a loud "farting" noise when I turn the engine off, like it releases accumulated gases and the car slightly shakes. You can hear this "farting" noise at the end of the attached recording.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:21 AM
Default Colorful

Wow, some serious terms of art in this thread.

I listened and watched. My conclusions and suggestion.

It ain’t snoring, sneezing, smoking or farting as it is a machine.

The noise(s) appear to be a metallic sound. Since the exhaust system is not fixed it can and should vibrate. Likely objects that can reasonably make that sound are;
Heat shield
Internal muffler baffle
Rear license plate and or frame

The “smoke” is not smoke. It is water vapor. Since the CRV does not have true dual exhaust, the wind can effect the volume of exhaust gas from side to side. It is irrelevant unless nothing is coming out of the left side.

Sooo, it is under warranty. Schedule service and have it looked at for a defective muffler and loose parts.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:42 AM

Using known sounds is the easiest way to describe a sound, similar to how you use natural objects to describe an unusual color.
In any case, this is definitely not a license plate, since the sound is 100% from the left exhaust.

I like to get feedback from people before I go to a mechanic (whether it's a dealership or not) so I'll know when I'm being told BS. Also, I'm just afraid that when I go to the dealership they might say, "Well, since that's not happening right now, there's nothing we can do..." so I'd like to get as much information as possible before I go there.

Quick Reply: Why left exhaust pipe snoring?