General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

96' Civic CX BIG PROBLEM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Default 96' Civic CX BIG PROBLEM???

Alright, first time on a auto forum. I need some help. About 5 days ago, I turned into a parking lot (at night) and the entire parking lot was flooded. Got in pretty deep, probably enough to cover the tires. I was able to back out. Then the engine died of coarse.Engine would start but there was severe puddering coming from my muffler. Couldnt get enough power to leave the parking lot and go home. So I got towed home. I let the car sit a couple days, went out to start itand it started.Took it out on the road to test drive it. It would drive, but whenever I gave it some gas to pick up some speed, it would start puddering (from the muffler)and slowly pick up speed.I Let it sit for another day, tried to start it, it took me 10 minutes before it started. Sounded like the engine wanted to start, but something was keeping it. Like i said, it took 10 minutes to start. Eventually being able to drive it. But mufler would still pudder when I applied gas to pick up speed. Next couple days, the car would start fine. Took it to a mechanic, and he said I had a big hole in my Pipe that goes into my muffler. And that it was pinched into my muffler. Today, I cant even start my car. Engine tries to start. But just wont. I notice a lightwhite smoke coming from the back of my car too. The big question is.Could having a hole in the pipe going into my muffler (and having it pinched) cause my car to not start? Any suggestions? Besides "take it to a mechanic"?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96' Civic CX BIG PROBLEM???

welcome to the forum, have you tried to disconnect the cat and drain it.
check the sensor, check to see if the wires are dry at the distributor and inside may have moisture.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM

achmech52 is spot on. Disconnect the cat and drain for sure. My bet is that the distributor wires are wet.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Changed fuel filter; Didnt start.
Checked spark plugs; wasnt getting spark. Plus, they all had a huuuge gaps. Changed those out. Still didnt start.
Pulled of Distributor cap; The cap had a good amount of moisture. Dried it out and put it back on. Still didnt start.
Pulled off Cap, then took off rotor. The wires and distributor where bone dry. Decided to just buy a new cap and rotor just for the hell of it. Put everything back to together and tried to start it. Took about 5 minutes before it finally started.
On the lastattempt of starting it (before it started), I pumped the gas peddal a lot.
We are thinking that I just had water in my gas somehow. Went to the store, bought some injector/gas cleaner. Its been starting up just fine the last 2 days.

Thanks for your input guys. I will be back some day for more help.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

don't be a stranger, if you see others who had problems with their hondas any type, you can tell us about it and what they did to fix it. Good luck with your ride and enjoy life.