Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

96' Civic CX BIG PROBLEM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Default 96' Civic CX BIG PROBLEM???

Alright, first time on a auto forum. I need some help.

About 5 days ago, I turned into a parking lot (at night) and the entire parking lot was flooded. Got in pretty deep, probably enough to cover the tires. I was able to back out. Then the engine died of coarse.Engine would start but there was severe puddering coming from my muffler. Couldnt get enough power to leave the parking lot and go home. So I got towed home. I let the car sit a couple days, went out to start itand it started.Took it out on the road to test drive it. It would drive, but whenever I gave it some gas to pick up some speed, it would start puddering (from the muffler)and slowly pick up speed.I Let it sit for another day, tried to start it, it took me 10 minutes before it started. Sounded like the engine wanted to start, but something was keeping it. Like i said, it took 10 minutes to start. Eventually being able to drive it. But mufler would still pudder when I applied gas to pick up speed. Next couple days, the car would start fine. Took it to a mechanic, and he said I had a big hole in my Pipe that goes into my muffler. And that it was pinched into my muffler.
Today, I cant even start my car. Engine tries to start. But just wont. I notice a lightwhite smoke coming from the back of my car too.
The big question is.Could having a hole in the pipe going into my muffler (and having it pinched) cause my car to not start?

Any suggestions? Besides "take it to a mechanic"?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Ok so you drove car into a lake up over your tires....did you get water inside the car like lets say on the passenger side where your feet would go? If so you probably drowned your computer. In which case I would take the computer out and open it up clean it off with DI (Deionized) water and let it dry. Then retry. ONLY IF YOU GOT WATER INSIDE THOUGH. As far as the exhaust is concerned if it is indeed pinched closed it probably would not start. Jack it up and a look for yourself maybe you melted the the catalyst. converter and that could cause problems too. I would have change my oil as well.