General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Dealer "contest" - copies of registration/insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Default Dealer "contest" - copies of registration/insurance??

I was in a Honda dealer yesterday looking at a possible new car, and the salesperson was pushing me on something very hard: providing her with my current car's registration and insurance card. She must have asked me about it six or seven times within a 40 minute period. She claimed that Honda is sponsoring an official dealer "contest" and that she needs to photocopy my current registration and proof of insurance for the contest.

She was vague and contradictory about the actual contest each time I asked, claiming that it had to do with proving that they were selling a new Honda to a current Honda owner.

She was aware that I already had my own financing, and she confirmed that her request had nothing to do with that.

Anyone ever hear of this supposed contest? Or of a dealership pressing hard to get photocopies of your current reg and ins? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM

I work at a Honda dealership. I don't see what you are so stressed out about. It sounds to me like they are running some customer loyalty program. If you own a Honda, a Honda dealer can look up all your information by the vehicle identification number anyway. If you are concerned, ask one of the sales managers to explain the contest more clearly than the salesperson did. A Honda dealer wouldn't risk their reputation to rip off important info about you. One person might, but that's why you confirm the story with a management team member. No worries, Mate.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Default Errr...

Your faith in the basic human goodness of all people is heartening, but this seemed like an odd thing, on its own. They were pushing this hard, and explanations varied, including from the sales manager.

Add to that the fact that the salesperson refused to give me a completed purchase order (what my credit union required to cut the check) and tried to peddle the complete nonsense that the Patriot Act requires everyone, no matter how they're paying for the car, to apply for financing through the dealership, and I was healthily skeptical.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM

I actually laughed when I read your reply. The part about my faith in others. It actually hits the nail on the head when it comes to me. And after reading this second post of yours I can now see what you were stressed out about. I didn't know everyone had to apply for financing these days. That's a new one. If I were you, I'd fill the tank in my old car and travel to a different Honda dealership. By the way, you don't happen to know who owns that particular dealer do you? For example, our's is owned by a single person who owns a bunch of dealerships around the country. If you could find out that they are not a private dealer, I recommend you call the parent company and complain. Before someone like me goes in there and gets schmoozed.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Default Lol

Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended. Consumers don't have to apply for financing, it's just a scam to get people to apply for financing.

Because I was able to determine independently that this was a valid request - for the previous owner info - and because they actually agreed in person to the price they agreed to through the buying service (though they did bait and switch me on the actual car...mine was sold "just before you got here" but they had a slightly higher-priced model available) I ended up buying the car from them. I told them I wouldn't pay for the dealer-installed options; they removed the mats and the mud guards, left the pinstriping and door edge guards, and kept the price as agreed.

Had to sit through 30 min of high-pressure LoJack, extended warranty, etc. "presentations" - and answer _extremely_ high-pressure questions about the terms of my private financing - but got out of there with the car I wanted at the price I wanted, saving $4K.

They didn't fill up my tank (they couldn't get the pump turned on) but gave me a due slip good for 7 days. They're an hour away from me, so it's unlikely I'll go. So they saved a little that way!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM

100% accurate your post was. I asked one of our salesmen today about your situation and he informed me that we are also running the loyalty contest and a copy of registration is required. He went on to answer your question that forcing you to apply for financing is the dealers way of hooking you into their options and abandoning your own. You were right on the money. LowJack is a great option if you drive a $50k car. I have installed about 40 units on cars and it just never made sense to me. I am glad to hear you saved some lettuce and congrats on your new car.