General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Honda Engine Series...differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Default Honda Engine Series...differences?

I'm a noob to this whole culture, so forgive me if this is an amazingly remedial question. We all had to start somewhere, I guess.
What are the differences between the different Honda engine series?

I want to know, basically, every difference between the different Honda engines. So any info you have on the B, D, H, J, and K (and any others I might be missing) would be amazing.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM

B series engines are Dual overhead cames (DOHC)with some coming v-tec and non vtec these go all the way up to 2.0 liters
D series are single overhead cam (SOHC) and dual with some coming v-tec and non vtec theses go only to 1.7 liters
H series was the high preformance engine inthe 90's and early 2000 models .. but was replaced by the F series

J series is the second generation of Hondas V6 engines .. this engine replaced all C series engines in the late 90's this engine is amazing it converts itself from V6 to a straight 3 cylinder when not under stress and 4 cylinders when in above normal conditions ( iVtec) .. gas saver ..but super fast

K series is my favorite and i think you can make Extremly fast of 4 cylinders. this is a newer model engine .Vtec DOHC engine but the cam uses roller rockers to reduce friction. this engine take componets from the faviorite B series and H series and combine them into a perfect machine.

if you need anything else i got you

Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM

So what about weight differences. which one is lightest? Heaviest? Let me also explain why I'm asking. I'm going to try to build a car that is not a Honda or Acura with a Honda engine in it. And the car I am using to do this is super heavy. So I am trying to balance the best engine for speed and power with the lightest engine (and light everything else) to reduce that weight.