Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Got D series questions b series questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Default Got D series questions b series questions

Hey.. this is kay aka zero.. many people have many questions on d series engines and b series engines.. so if you have any questions be free to ask ill provide as much information as possible. i can helpful to people trying to build either series of engines or any questions regarding performance.. so feel free to ask.. and please do me a favor and do not refer to and engine as a motor ... that makes me very mad.. anyways .. got somthing on your mind.. feel free to ask..

Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Got D series questions b series questions

Wazza dude this is chris AKA [D.N.P. Walters]. i was looking to build my single cam. but i have a d15 non v tech. I was thinking of buying high compression pistons and a d16 vtech head to give my car a lil kick on other single cams. oh ya and im automatic which is a big problem. Can you help me?? Thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Hey there chris. I had a few friends with single cam vehicles that were auto. but don't worry. your not going to be pushing that much bhp to affect your tranny. but what i would recommend you doing is managing your money first. find a d16a1 engine or a zc engine and taking those p29 (usdm) pistons and putting them into your d15 block. Also with those pistons you will need to a d16y8 or d16z6 head gasket. Just with that setup alone you are looking at 11:1 compression ratio. and as for the head don't waste money my friend. besides at a rough estimate you get about 11 hp per 1 ratio you go up. so from 9.2:1 is 102bhp 11:1 is about roughly 124bhp just like a d16z6. well not exactly but very close. what you could do after that bro is make sure you run 91 octane fuel to keep from pre detonating with a high compression engine. not like its likely to happen because pre-detonation usually happens around 13.49:1 compression. but its always good to be safe just in case. ok so lets see, Don't buy a D16 head. very pointless. people keep talking about how it has better flow blah blah blah. i worked a lot on d series man. i did mini swaps all day long for kids. and dynos that mini crap is just bunch of kids who wanna claim V-TEC(Variable Valve Timing and lift Electronic Control). Trust me if you want to go all motor with what you have its perfectly fine. now what i recommend you do instead of spending that money on the head you where going to buy. get you current head Port Matched And polished. Now when they port and match it. Its going to be matched to you intake manifold. So make sure you save some money for a After market IMF(Intake Manifold). After that your cfm(cubic feet per minute) for you intake should make a dramatic difference in bhp(brake horsepower). giving you a rough estimate here your looking at 3-5 hp gain without after market IMF and 5-10 hp gain with a after market IMF. that should answer your question. And all of this should cost you around $200 IMF(depends where you buy) $50 P29 pistons (only used) $100-$200 for port match and polish depending where you live. now going from 102hp to around 130hp doest sound like much with those modifications but believe me they will make a difference. Now for your future outlook. Plan on buying Staged titanium Retainer kit for you head. which will help you later when you get stage three cams. and cams and retainer kit will cost around $600 but remember your looking at roughly 150bhp stock and 175bhp tuned. but before you put those Cam Shafts in i highly recommend you get a after market Fuel pump. something that will put out at least min of 290lpm(liters per minute). Along before you get those cams put into you engine. Please make sure you have some type of Fuel management system. Hondata, AEM, ETC... plz because if you don't your just killing you engine.. especially with such a high compression on stock rods. because if you plan to push anything higher than 175bhp plz i highly recommend after market RODS. The rods that you have stock are very week. can only hold for so long under pressure. umm thats about it bro.. oh and don't spend waste money on Exhaust systems. lol because trust me you flow matters but i don't think you have that much of an intake to make a 20hp gain yet. so save yourself a couple hundred dollars. There ya go. thats about all the information you requested. have fun. drive safe. and try not race on public streets. Its not safe.

-Kay aka Zero

Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Hey i got a 93 dx with d16z6 motor swap and stock d 15b7 tranny. Wondering if tranny is different then d16z6 tranny and also wondering where to go with the motor to get the most out of it. I want to work the low and high end of the motor because i heard that it helps with turbo lag. I plan on going turbo and i already have turbo manifold. T3/T4 manifold. I need your knowledge because this is my first tune. But i am willing to learn for the hobby of it. Also what sizes do i go with with the valves and all that? I know its alot but i hope you can help. I have all winter to do the motor because car has a ground kit on it already and I live in PA. So it is equal to a truck with a plow. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 AM

i want to know lots more because i was about to drop $$ on a y8 head and a z6 imf so with my d15 what realistly can i look for bhp wise with say 800-1000$ befor turbo and what should i do to at the same time turbo ready the gen? any sugestions would be goo i also am considering a b swap into my 91 hatchdx i just want to get to 300bhp the most pheasabel way and structurly strong and safe should i just drop a b?