General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

I need some advice on replacing my stolen CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 04:54 PM
Question I need some advice on replacing my stolen CR-V

I did NOT expect to be car-shopping again, but here I am.

I bought a new CR-V LX in 2014. I loved that car. I was hoping that it would be the last car I ever owned--that I could drive it until I didn't need a car anymore. Since I was 56 then, and I drove my last Honda for 17 years, that wasn’t too unrealistic. I did my part and took very good care of it, and it was in great condition. Alas, 'twas not to be... Last week, somebody stole it.

So as soon as my insurance pays off, I’ll be car shopping. I don’t know yet how much they’ll give me for my CR-V. The “instant cash offer” I got from the Kelly Blue Book site is $13,545, and they estimated the private party price to be $14,510 to $16,251. I see a lot of comparable cars (same year, same model, similar mileage to the 75,000 mine had) priced between $16,000 and $20,000--and many of those are at one-price, no-haggle dealers. So I really hope I can get more from my insurance than that--otherwise, I’m going to end up with a significantly crappier car than the one I lost. My CR-V was paid off, and taking on a car payment now is not an option.

I will be buying another Honda--that much I'm sure of. I’m wondering if other Honda owners here can give me a little advice? If it helps: I’m female, age 63. I live in the Seattle suburbs, and I mostly drive short trips around town, with an occasional weekend road trip. I usually drive solo—no kids, grandkids, softball teams, packs of huskies, etc. I expect to be commuting by car for another four years or so. I have bad knees, so no low-slung sportscars for me--a vehicle that’s a bit higher off the ground is easier for me to get in and out of. I want something with a rear hatch and rear seats that fold down and give me some cargo space. I need enough power to accelerate onto the freeway without getting squashed by a truck, but beyond that, I don't need huge amounts of horsepower. My priority is a car that will last and not be trouble-prone or expensive to maintain--that's why I'm getting a Honda. My budget is already tight, and once I retire, a major repair bill could mean the end of my driving days.

My main questions are:
  • My stolen CR-V had front wheel drive. I didn't want AWD when I bought it. We don’t get much snow or ice where I live--and when we do, the city freaks out and grinds to a halt, so nobody is expected to go anywhere until it melts. I never drive up to the mountains in winter. I don’t go off-roading. I’ve always heard that all-wheel drive reduces gas mileage, and makes it necessary to replace all four tires at once, even if only one or two are bad. And just in general, AWD seems like one more thing that could break--so why have it when I don’t really need it? But of course, I've been looking around at used CR-Vs online, and there are a lot more out there with AWD than there are with front-wheel drive. So, what’s your take? Should I stick to my original reasoning and limit my search to front-wheel drive models, or should I give myself more options and look at AWD ones, too?
  • I’ve seen some HR-Vs for sale online. They weren’t making them in 2014, so I’d never really looked at one. Now, I’m thinking I might be able to get something newer, or with less miles on it, if I buy one of them instead of a CR-V. I do like the extra space in the CR-V, but at first glance, I think an HR-V might be big enough to do what I need. I'm not exactly slim (5' 6", ~200 lbs), but I haven't seen a lot of complaints that the HR-V is uncomfortable for people around my size. I can probably cram a full Costco shopping trip in the back, but it might be tight. I’ve read reviews that say the HR-V's ride is louder and less smooth than the CR-V's, and that's a problem, but I can probably live with it...to a point. Better gas mileage would be nice. Consumer Reports likes the CR-V significantly better than the HR-V, which is concerning. I just don't want the differences to be so great that I'll feel like I compromised too much, and I should've held out for a CR-V and settled for something older or higher-mileage instead. So, what’s your take on how the CR-V and the HR-V compare? Which one would you recommend in my situation?
  • Any other words of wisdom you can offer to a reluctant car-shopper with my needs and limitations?
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2022, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. we own a HR-V 2016. we liked the cost and milage it can produce. so far no problems other than a thumping sound that was fixed by the dealership. price was good, 2 wheel drive. CR-V is good, but is a lot higher in price and lower milage due to being a awd. also more comfort.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:45 AM

Stick with front wheel drive. You get better gas mileage not having to lug around more weight for the AWD version. That is consistent savings year after year.
Whether HRV or CRV? I have no idea. I have a 2007 CRV which I love. It may be a beater, old and looking for more tender loving care than I can afford.
Still, I am hoping it will be the last car I need. If I do get another vehicle then I will look at Toyota as their vehicles seem easier to DIY.