General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Integra K-Series Swap

Old 11-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Post Integra K-Series Swap

I currently own a BB6 SE and I want to have a car to learn and mess with. I was considering of buying an Integra shell in the near future along with a K-series motor, preferably a K20A motor.
My question is aside from the cost of the shell, motor, motor mounts, and trans, what are the parts will I need for a fully successful swap along with the overall cost (excluding the cost of the
shell and motor)

Old 11-15-2017, 12:56 PM

K20A is a Japanese Market engine and not sold in the US. You will have to purchase an engine control unit (ECU). If you decide to go OEM then it will be cheaper, 200-300 depending on where you look, but it will be used. Or you can get an aftermarket, programmable ECU from a number of manufacturers. Hondata sells units for about $800, but expect to pay an additional 100-200 for the wiring harness and small things here and there. In addition, unless you plan on swapping it yourself, expect to pay thousands for a shop to do it. Also, new gaskets and fluids will run you a couple hundred dollars. I highly advise replacing the head gasket before the swap if you purchase an engine online or overseas. It may avoid warranty, though, so do your research.

Side note: You can source a K20Z1 from a 05-06 Acura RSX-S or a K20A2 from a 02-04 Acura RSX-S. They are very similar to the K20A and will save you time and money.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-15-2017, 05:49 PM

This was all very helpfull, thank you! and I plan to do this swap at home and along with friends to help me out, i do know a couple people that are experince mechanics that are willing to help out for the hell of it and willing to teach me a thing or two. One of the guys currently owned a fourth gen prelude and swaped the H22A4 from the 5th gen.

Originally Posted by Abhorrent Sloth
K20A is a Japanese Market engine and not sold in the US. You will have to purchase an engine control unit (ECU). If you decide to go OEM then it will be cheaper, 200-300 depending on where you look, but it will be used. Or you can get an aftermarket, programmable ECU from a number of manufacturers. Hondata sells units for about $800, but expect to pay an additional 100-200 for the wiring harness and small things here and there. In addition, unless you plan on swapping it yourself, expect to pay thousands for a shop to do it. Also, new gaskets and fluids will run you a couple hundred dollars. I highly advise replacing the head gasket before the swap if you purchase an engine online or overseas. It may avoid warranty, though, so do your research.

Side note: You can source a K20Z1 from a 05-06 Acura RSX-S or a K20A2 from a 02-04 Acura RSX-S. They are very similar to the K20A and will save you time and money.

Hope this helps!