General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Questions about replacing engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 12:41 PM
Default Questions about replacing engine

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of replacing the (broken) engine in my fit. I actually posted a while back about this issue, but thought a new thread is appropriate because the last post was more about the legal stuff, which was kindly pointed out to be beyond the scope of this forum, but now I just have some specific questions about getting my engine replaced.

So where that last thread left off, I took the car to another shop (shop 1) to get a second mechanic's opinion before i went to court, but surprisingly and very unfortunately they said my engine was fine, despite a slight but noticeable noise to the engine, maybe whats called a "knock" but I'm not totally sure. Less than 100 miles later the engine fails on me, and the shop (shop 2) I towed it to says the engine is damaged and should be replaced. So I think I want to replace the engine but I have a few questions on the best way to go about it.

My first thing is that, apparently, I can sell the broken engine I have installed now, which I hadn't realized for most of the time since it's been broken. After their inspection, shop one said I could sell them my engine for $1500 if done in the next 90 days. When I told shop 2 about this, they met me with the same offer. What's confusing to me is that in their quote for replacing my engine, the used replacement engine also costs exactly $1500...so why does my broken engine have the same value as the one im buying to have installed? It makes me think that either the engine I have in now is more salvagable than ive been led to believe, or that this other engine, or just replacing engines in general, isn't a good option. I was originally told that I might have been able to repair specific parts of the engine damaged by oil starvation, but because Honda's use single block engines, the whole engine had to go. But now that my broken engine and the replacement engine apparently have the same value I've become confused about this.

The other thing is that there is a Honda dealer and shop very close to the shop I was towed to with it's own service shop. Both their shop and shop 2 where my car is now have good reviews on Google. Obviously a lot comes down to the individual shops and who is doing the work, but is there something to be said about having this done at a Honda shop per se? Their site describes a 1 year warranty on replacement parts which also seems attractive.

Thanks for reading about my plight and again for the help in the other thread!

Old 06-01-2022, 02:36 PM

What other thread? Link?
They will replace your engine for labor only if you let them have your bad engine?
How much labor?
It don't make sense. Do you have any written receipt or estimate?

Old 06-01-2022, 07:26 PM

I think this can be deleted actually, but can't see how to do it. It does look like they were both actually offering me $1500 for the entire car so we miscommunicated there.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:34 AM

Don't know the year of your vehicle?
If changing the engine cost them less than $2000 and the vehicle only cost them $1500, total cost to them is $3500
If 2019 Honda Fit then value is around $18000. Pretty nice profit.
If 2017 Honda Fit then value is around $14000. Still nice profit.
If 2015 Honda Fit then value is around $10000. Good profit