General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 Civic Wont Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Default 02 Civic Wont Stay Running

So I have a few theories as to what it might be, but I figured someone must have experienced this before & can tell me what it is before I start tearing the car up & replacing things needlessly! Friday ngiht I was driving & I just lost all power inside the car & I was obv running on altenator, just figured I needed a new battery/altenator. The car sat till Sunday & I comp forgot about the incident until someone asked to borrow the car & when they turned the car over it started right up, then I fig prob just a random civic moment. That same night drove across the street sitting in the parking lot finishing my song power cut agian & when I tried to turn it over I got the typical dead battery wine. Went into the store 15 mins 20 tops & the car started right up again. next day driving to work happens agian & when I got caught at a red light w/ no power it started stalling out. I pulled it over went to work & sent someone to get it only that time it started for a min and died right out. Pushed the car into a parking lot and had it towed to my house the next day ( today) & when I got home I realzied the tow driver left my car in the wrong spot so I got in and tried to start it & was able to drive it into the right spot.

Battery's new & just replaced terminals last week
Altenator obv has some working power becuz it whines even if it doesnt start
Someone suggested poss the distributor cap ..??
Thinking maybe the belt ... & idk if its related but been have a loud engine whine about a 1-2 months now (not power steering)

I'm about to go office space on this civic .. so if someone has any ideas before I beat the car & buy an RSX I'd appreciate it Thanks

Any input on this its driving me crazy & I'm dying w/o a car

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

your car doesn't have a distributer. i had a similar problem which turned out to be just a loose battery connection. check all the grounds and positive connections also check the connection from the alternator make sure its good. it could be a bad alternator you never know have it checked most parts stores like autozone,advanced auto,pep boys will check your charging system for free.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-29-2013 at 02:34 PM.