General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Odyssey EX-L electric doors Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Default 2006 Odyssey EX-L electric doors Advice

I've got a 2006 Odyssey EX-L that has only 58000 miles that has been sitting in my dad's garage for a few years. He's in his 80s and drove it before he stopped driving. It has some cosmetic issues but it also has some other problems I want to fix so I can rent it out through Turo. I'm here to ask for some advice on how to get some things fixed without going to the dealer. The battery won't hold a charge. In the past, we called AAA several times and they said to run the car to keep the battery charged. We did but it still won't stay charged so I am not sure what is going on with that. The electric sliding doors were messed up several years ago when one got stuck and my dad didn't know to shut off the electric part of it so he could close it manually and he really messed up the motor. Then we were in California with it a few years ago and had the oil changed and that came with a free car wash. It came out of the car wash with black tar like goop sprayed all over the window past the one of the sliding doors. I thought the car wash sprayed something on it but now I'm thinking maybe one of the hydraulics blew. Do the doors have hydraulics? Anyone have that happen to them? To get the car able to run well, I know I have to do at least the following:
Fix whatever is wrong that drains the battery down to nothing
Fix the electronic doors so they work well
Get a bra for the front because that'll be a good way to hold the bumper together (he bumped something with it.)

Does anyone have any ideas what could be draining the battery?
How hard is it to fix the door electronics on my own?
Thanks guys!

Old 04-28-2022, 10:14 PM

Throw a new battery in it and see if you can get it running.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:23 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I do get AAA out every now and then and they put a new battery in and tell me to run the car daily. We do, but then after a few days, it's discharged again and we have to get them out again. Now, it hasn't been run since the last new battery died after a few days, which was two years ago. What I want to do is get it running and take it to be fixed. I'm not sure what is causing the drain.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:22 AM

You have a parasitic drain.
You need to find what is the cause and fix it.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:38 AM

Do what ^^^ he said as for the battery draining. Do you have these electrical issues when the battery is fresh? Until you have a good source of power (fully charged battery) there's no sense in trying to figure out why electrical things are not working correctly.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:40 AM

The sliding doors on the Odyssey does not have hydraulics.
It works by using an electrical motor and cable and pulley system.
Check out youtube videos on how to repair those.
It could be one of the reasons your battery is draining or dying.