General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 Honda Accord fuel empty light blinking on full gas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Default 2011 Honda Accord fuel empty light blinking on full gas.

The day before, I filled my tank. Next day the empty gas light was blinking and the fuel level was on low. Below the empty line. So I had decided to pick a used fuel pump assembly with the fuel level sending unit attached at my local salvage yard. Took off the rear seats and first unplugged the fuel pump. Then what I did was plugged it into the one I got from the salvage yard. I then put it on to the on position. And still the same level. Empty with the gas low light blinking. I then checked the wiring with signals with an ohm meter. Both of the fuel pump readings signaled the same. Both had no loose wires or corrosion. I’m thinking both the fuel level sending unit is not the problem. Could it be a gauge problem within the instrument cluster? Keep in mind, I did not fully install the fuel pump that I got from salvage yard. Just did a test first. Thanks, hopefully someone had experience with this.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Welcome in ,first off if you still have the original unit in place buy two bottles of Seafoam with the tank full pour one bottle in and drive it,you may have to use both to get results but this may solve the problem,I had the problem with one of my Corvettes and the Sea Foam corrected it with one bottle,two years ago my Diesel dually had the problem with one of its tanks Seafoam fixed that. Try it,good luck and let us know ,other than that you my be correct in a bad gauge.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:50 AM

You are correct that the blinking gauge and the apparent fuel level dropping to empty is a fuel system warning. Some have been able to clean this by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. It would suggest that your in tank solenoid has closed to protect from a diagnostic fault or the the solenoid itself has failed to open when energized (turning the key on). Best bet is to try unhooking the battery lead. If that does not work, the car will most likely not run for more than a minute until the fuel line empties. At that point, you will need the tow.