General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 CRV engine failure - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 09:01 PM
Default 2013 CRV engine failure - help needed

Hello, my wife’s 2013 CRV with about 120000km just blew a hole in the back of the block. I think I have found another motor but I can’t find any info on replacing it. I had a quick look at the AWD CRV and it looks fairly straight forward but it was dark out and I was working with a flashlight. I would like to have a look at a manual or a YouTube video on replacing the crv motor before diving into the job. I’m hoping someone here can direct me in the right direction. Some of the YouTube videos I’ve seen has the motor being taken out from the bottom on the older models.

a little history on the vehicle... I don’t think a CRV motor with that low if km should have blown up but... the wife always used the “oil life” display on the dash to know when it was time to change the oil. Sometimes it was 10000km + before the crv said it needed to be changed. She always got the oil changed at the dealership. For awhile the crv was using between 1L-2L of oil between changes. At around 65000 the motor developed an engine knock. The dealership said there was nothing wrong with it. I have a video that you can clearly hear the knock but the dealership couldn’t hear it. I was so surprised that the mechanic said he couldn’t hear it that I took out my phone and took the video right at the dealership. We started taking it to a different dealership after that. They noticed the oil was being used and was going to open a consumption case but never gathered enough info to follow through before the warranty expired. We bought the super extended warranty ... it was something like 7years/120000km, I think.

all the history doesn’t really matter now but I thought I would include it.

any direction would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Joecrv; 03-24-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. it would be good to get a factory repair service manual used for your CR-V. this will allow you to do just about anything you need to do on the vehicle.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:32 PM

I started to look for one but the dealership service manager called and said he wants to try abs help us out so we want to see what happens there.
Is there a Planck online where I could get the manual for free?

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. it would be good to get a factory repair service manual used for your CR-V. this will allow you to do just about anything you need to do on the vehicle.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

you can try the many honda forums or cr-v forums. i have for the older models used HondaTech forum for many service manuals they have on their site.