General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 Honda Civic shudders when going slowly

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Default 2017 Honda Civic shudders when going slowly

Hi there, my parents have been having an issue with their 2017 Honda Civic sedan - after they have driven some distance - sometimes as low as 30 miles/50 kilometers on the open road at the speed limit everything is fine but if they come across heavy traffic and have to slow right down and stop and start then when the apply the accelerator gently to keep up with the slow moving traffic the engine starts to shake and shudder... until the traffic starts moving freely again and then when the speed gets up the problem goes away.

They've taken it to the local Honda dealer and they can't work out what the problem is but they've apparently called some sort of head office somewhere who said they had never heard of this problem happening.

One of the mechanics thought that it could be related to the fuel filter but because it's quite hard to recreate the situation where it happens none of the mechanics have been able to experience it.

I have them here for the next couple of days so I can ask any questions if I haven't explained the situation clearly enough!

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before and if you have any idea why it might be happing so I can pass it on to my parents?

Any help would be much appreciated! We live about 7 hours drive away from them and this happens every time they come and visit their grandkids!

Old 02-08-2021, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, accelerator pumping, I would search that area, hope that helps