General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord is Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Default 92 Accord is Overheating

Folks, My daughter's Accord is overheating. It overheats at low RPM's, but at higher RPMs (over 2300 RPMS) it starts to cool down. Is this the Water pump acting up? I replaced the Thermostat.... she lost a lot of water, and I thought that was a function of losing coolant from a crack in the top radiator to engine hose, therefore I replaced that hose as well.

The car is also slightly missing out, and I see some white spots in the tailpipe..... Is this indicative of a head gasket problem, or head problem?? I really haven't identified exactly where or why it became low on coolant....

Help!! Thanks!

Doug

Old 05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 Accord is Overheating

Aloha dougster01, might check to see with a pressure tester where the water may be leaking. It is possible for the water to seep/leak through the head gasket, during any recent tune ups, were the spark plugs, wires, distributor parts been replaced, have you done a compression check, when you do this, it may show in the radiator (cap off) if the air is leaking into the cooling system, this may help to determine where the water is going to. if the car was overheated, the head may have been warped causing the head gasket to start leaking. caution with the cap off, anti freeze is hot if it blow out. Do the check with cooled off water temp.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Default RE: 92 Accord is Overheating

Thanks! I think that replacing thethermostat fixed the water circulation issue, and replacing the main top hose fixed a part of the leakage problem.... although I had to add a little more coolant to the Overflow cannister today.... I do not see any leakage around any of the hoses, or around the thermostat housing... and I checked the oil to see if their was any residue of coolant... and that appears to be okay.... I will monitor it closely and see what happens over the next few days.[/align][/align]Thanks again![/align][/align]Doug[/align]