General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Default 93 brake issue

93 accord has a brake issue. No sign of fluid leakage anywhere but is giving signs of air in the system. Initial braking touch will use brakes but then pedal falls away after first touch. They will not pump up tight. Pedal then goes pretty much to the floor where the ABS kicks in and you get some brakes again. If you slam them on, they will brake hard but then fall away. This is fairly typical of master cylinder failures I've had on cars in the past, but since this car has a booster assist, I was just wondering if it could be the booster and if there was some trick to tell whether you need to replace the master cylinder, the booster or both? (master cylinder $50, booster $150; so big difference in which part is necessary). Also, anything helpful we need to know on changing either out or is it just the basic service?
Suzy

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Welcome to the forum,I would bet the Master is gone,$50 is not bad ,not sure if there is a trick to telling the difference but in my expierence if the pedal slowly fades it's the Master.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by suzy fisher2
93 accord has a brake issue. No sign of fluid leakage anywhere but is giving signs of air in the system. Initial braking touch will use brakes but then pedal falls away after first touch. They will not pump up tight. Pedal then goes pretty much to the floor where the ABS kicks in and you get some brakes again. If you slam them on, they will brake hard but then fall away. This is fairly typical of master cylinder hid headlight kits failures I've had on cars in the past, but since this car has a booster assist, I was just wondering if it could be the booster and if there was some trick to tell whether you need to replace the master cylinder, the booster or both? (master cylinder $50, booster $150; so big difference in which part is necessary). Also, anything helpful we need to know on changing either out or is it just the basic service?
Suzy
50$ is actually pretty good IMO

Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

If your boost assist was bad, you would have manual brake, it would not go to the floor, but it would be hard to push but the brakes will work. Master the pedal goes to the floor at times. If you sit at idle with the e brake on, and you step on the brake pedal very lightly, it will go to the floor eventually if it is the master cylinder.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:47 AM

Hey suzy, did you find out what the problem was? Also, where was the Master cylinder at $50?
Thank you?

Old 02-01-2024, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gerardo Galindo
Hey suzy, did you find out what the problem was? Also, where was the Master cylinder at $50?
Thank you?
She hasn't been around here since 2010. Check the MC and let us know what you get.