General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 civic overheating very fast help please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Default 95 civic overheating very fast help please?

I have a 95 honda civic si it has a new water pump new thermostat new radiator and the coolant is full. I have tried bleeding the cooling system as well. I'm lost it takes less than 1 minute for the Guage to get to the red area. I know that it can't be getting that hot that quick but it jumps up there and I've left the cap off and turned the heat on full blast as well. I can't figure out what else to do.it seems as if it's not flowing but I've pulled off a couple of hoses and the antifreeze pours out??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 PM

2 things come to mine either You have Lots of air still in the cooling
system. are you sure Your heat setting is slided over to Heat setting?

or You replaced Your thermostat backwards take off the thermostat and
make sure its faced in the right direction of the housing.?

is the cooling fan working?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 AM

The fan has been straight wired and it turns on as soon as you turn on the ignition. It took me a while to figure it out but It has a blown head gasket. O well I've got some work to do.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Default overheating

Originally Posted by bleedinblue311
I have a 95 honda civic si it has a new water pump new thermostat new radiator and the coolant is full. I have tried bleeding the cooling system as well. I'm lost it takes less than 1 minute for the Guage to get to the red area. I know that it can't be getting that hot that quick but it jumps up there and I've left the cap off and turned the heat on full blast as well. I can't figure out what else to do.it seems as if it's not flowing but I've pulled off a couple of hoses and the antifreeze pours out??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Have u tried the heater core hose & radiator. If your getting heat then make sure ur fans r working. I just went thru same problem. Turned out 2 b the heater core radiator.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 AM

I have the head off its at the machine shop ready to be picked up. I should have it back together this weekend. It took me a little while to figure it out and I'm still not completely sure what was wrong but I was getting coolant in the oil. Since I couldn't let the the car run long it took me a little while to notice it. I haven't had the car long and the guy who had it before me replaced the head gasket not long ago but I think the problem was that he didn't torque the head down right. I was told the gaskets are usually trashed when u take the head off but the gasket came off in one piece and looks reusable but I already have another gasket so I'm going with the new one and I have arp studs and I am going to be torquing them to the 60 ft lbs. Hopefully I'll have it going this weekend. Thanks for everyone's insight and any other tips would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've changed a head gasket.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Arrow

It sounds like your radiator fan motor may be shot. Your car's radiator only depends on the fan at stop or slow speeds. When you're moving the air is forced through the grill and cools the car.