General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Honda civic engine swap troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Sos
Unhappy 98 Honda civic engine swap troubles

Ok so I did my research all over the honda forums and found out that honda civics are very simple to interchange motors. So I took it upon myself to do an engine swap. I pulled a 1.6 non vtec motor out of a 2000 honda civic lx and installed in a 1998 honda civic lx. I had to reuse the old wire harness off the old engine in order have the new motor directly plug in. THEN I discovered that the 98 civic used a distributor with a different style elec. plug...So, I had to pull the distributor from the 98 civic engine and put it on the new one. OK!...so now that I have explained everything...

after hooking everything up so that everything can plug in, I go to start the car and it turns over but it does not start. So I check if there is any spark and no there no spark. So I replaced the alternator, cap n rotor and spark plug wires because they were all corroded and... still no spark. So I pulled the ecu from the 2000 civic because I had read that it would fix the issue but...no it didn't. Still no spark and I am completely stumped. I read that it is possible but that I would have to swap certain things from the 2000 civic to make the 98 civic body receive the new engine.

Can someone point me in the right direction??? I need an expert, or someone with this experience. I am mechanically inclined, all I need is a little sense of direction.

Thank you in advance!!!!!