General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Antenna question

Hi there, I just purchased a 1995 Honda Civic. Isn't the prettiest thing in the world but I feel I got a decent deal for a reliable car like this. One of the 1st things I noticed (after buying the car) was that the radio wouldn't pick up any stations. So, I took out the cd player and noticed that the antenna cable that connects to the stereo is bent. Like.. the piece that ya input into the stereo, from the antenna.. is bent. So, I managed to still insert the end of the antenna (the adapter or whatever its called) into the stereo.. and it ended up picking up some radio stations. My concern, is that because it is bent.. does that put me at risk for electrical problems, like.. it shorting out or something? If so, I guess I'll have to disconnect it and purchase a new antenna, but would rather not if I don't have to and don't have to worry about it causing any problems. I appreciate your input in advance.

Also, the car is missing the Honda "H" Emblem on the trunk, any idea where I could find one of those cheap? Thank you!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the forum,no concerns about elec. shorts although the coax on the cable may be frayed ,Check a junkyard for another antena and look for your H while your there.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Welcome to the forum,no concerns about elec. shorts although the coax on the cable may be frayed ,Check a junkyard for another antena and look for your H while your there.
Thanks, glad I found this forum. Well, I did see a tiny piece of copper thread poking outside where the cable attaches to the input thing. Hopefully that's not a big deal..I thought about wrapping some electric tape around it but didn't really know what i was doin, so instead i just put some electrical tape on the metal that surrounds the area where the 1 little fray is.

Haha funny you say that, I actually headed over to the junkyeard today before even reading this. Only problem was they had no civics near the year of mine. But, I did find the H Honda emblem on an old accord, and found the "civic" emblem on a newer civic. So, it's not the right civic emblem, its one for the newer civic's but that's good enough for me. What's awesome is both of those emblem's were free, just had to pay 2 bucks to get into the junkyard. Great deal because I saw they were like 20 bucks on ebay.

Had a tough time finding an antenna though. Because I need the kind that comes out of the car, above the driver side window through that little mount. I'll have to check out some other yards and try findin one. So because the antenna ain't great.. I tried out the cd player today, turns out that don't work so great either. I've got a nicer cd player from my last car, but the problem is the connection input on that one doesn't match the connector in the car.

Sorry this is turning into a novel.. but I'm just kind of excited because I feel like I've got a pretty good car, for a cheap price, and the only work that needs to be done is stuff that I feel I can do myself.. just like, little cosmetic stuff.

The car had tint on the windows in the back, which I peeled off tonight, just because I don't need any reasons to get pulled over. So the agenda for tomorrow is to somehow get all the sticky residue leftover from the tint, off my windows. Gonna try and get the same kind of stuff, off the trunk of my car where the old honda emblems are, so its not noticeable under the new emblems I just got.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM

I know how you feel about getting something new,keep the flame burning,hey Windex will take the glue right off,just spray it on and let it sit a minute and then take a scraper and it comes off easy,sometimes it will wipe off with a rag,this is why you should never use windex on tinted windows it will go through the tint and release the bonding glue.Good luck.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 AM

So, I got all the sticky stuff and tint off of the windows, used some goo gone type stuff.. forgot what it was called.

So then I decided to start putting the emblems on, and used superglue.. which was a bad idea. Unfortunately I used too much super glue and its now all over the trunk of my car. Anyone know if there's a way to get super glue off of a car without taking off the paint too?