General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bad mpg suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Default Bad mpg suddenly

i had a nail in my tire and i was getting bad gas mileage, but now that my tire has been fixed, and all the air pressure is correct, im still getting bad gas mileage. I usually get 28 average, but am getting around 18 average. Tire pressure has been the cause in past and it immediately corrected itself once i fixed the pressure, but this time, it didnt fix it. I am wondering if i need to reset the computer because once it started getting bad mpg from the tire, it started feeding more gas or something and is just stuck in its new setting.
The car is driving the same. My spark plugs and pcv valve are 40k miles old. I have changed the oil and rotated tires fairly recently. Its time to change air filter but its not bad or overdue. My gas cap is only a couple months old, and had the fuel injectors cleaned by honda like 30k miles ago. The fuel filter cant be changed on my car (only the entire pump), ive had the car for 60k miles and never changed an o2 sensor (and car has 190k miles on it, so maybe has never been changed). The mass air flow sensor has been cleaned within the past 6 months. Alignment is good so i have no reason to believe its a problem with brakes (and entire brake system is less than year old); e brake handle isnt pulled up or anything weird. No check engine lights.
2007 honda accord 4 cylinder 2.4 ivtec lx se.
i plan to replace spark plugs, pcv valve, air filter, to hopefully fix this issue, but also just as part of regular maintenance, but wondering about computer system reset, if it is needed...???
any other thoughts?? Any suggestions?? As a car with 190+k miles, should i consider replacing the fuel pump or o2 sensors as a precaution? (I am single and unexpected repairs means i dont have a back up vehicle or anyone else to give me a ride).

Old 11-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Today I changed spark plugs, air filter, cleaned the pcv valve, and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Will need to drive it a bit more to see if anything worked, but still looking for other ideas in case it doesnt work.

Another note I forgot to mention, I have tried changing gas stations, but has been same no matter where i go.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Can you jack up one tire and put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock and move the tire a bit?
See if There is any play. Then do the same with hands at 9 and 3 o'clock?
Then spin wheel to see if it spins (front tires will not spin freely as they are tied into the transmission when in park)

Note: Always be safe and use jack stands as well as the jack