General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Charging System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Default Charging System Problems

I have a 90 civic hatch and its having charging system problems.
4 months ago I replaced the altenator and everything worked fine. A month later my lights seemed to flicker and pulsate. I thought that due to the battery being small and the car being so old, that it was causing the lights to flicker and pulsate. So, I let it go.
2 days ago my charging light turned on and an hour an a half later the battery died. I took the altenator to Checkers to have them test it. The test came out bad. So, they gave me a new altenator. After I installed the new altenator and drove the car the charging light came on again and the battery is now drained.
I checked the belt and the tension was good.
So I called my regular mechanic with whom I used to work with. He told me that after replacing an altenator you are not suposed to jump start the battery, but charge it with a charger, because jumping it could send to much power to the new altenator causeing it to blow out. When we jumped the battery, I used my friends car, which is a 4 cyc. His car wasn't even turned on.
I am going to take the new altenator out to have it tested as well as the battery. Before I do, I thought that I would come here for any advice.
Thx