General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help my car keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Unhappy need help my car keeps dying

i have a 93 honda accord and i am having a problem with how it runs on a really hot day it will not start if you stop to fast it will die if i turn to sharp to fast it will die i replaced my fuel pump and filter. A friend told me it is my distributor then another friend told me it is a main relay under the dash on the driver side i don't know whose advice to take i am broke and need to fix this problem

Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 PM

The main relays on these old dogs are known to go bad in hot weather. However, more likely it is the ignition coil. Pull the distributor cap and rotor off and have a look at your ignition coil. If you see an ovular shape on the casing of the coil that looks like its burnt (will look like an oil rainbow on water), the coil is bad. She gets hot and the resistance (which increases with heat) goes too high and breaks the circuit. A good indicator is the car shutting off on hot days, then restarting after it cools a few minutes.