General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Damaged Suspension, wondering if worth fixing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Default Damaged Suspension, wondering if worth fixing.

Hello all. I damaged my car pretty badly, but I do have in interest in repair and I would like to see if I can repair the car myself.

The car is a 2007 Honda Accord and I reversed into a curb with enough force to pop the tire and crack the rim on the rear right wheel. Upon getting a new rim and tire, the mechanic noticed that the rear suspension seems to have been pushed forward about 3-4 inches and told me he will not install the new rim.

I went home and took some pictures for you guys to see what going on. I have pictures of both the good side and bad side of the car to show the anomalies.

First thing I noticed, is that one of the arms toward the front is bent and the arm in the rear seems straight, but the frame that is holding it in is bent.. The area with the frame that is bent, also squeaks and I can feel a vibration when I move the suspension up and down.

I have a taken pictures of the good side and bad side of the suspension and would like some insight and what should or can be done.

I should also note that I am thinking of getting a new car because the car has other problems, trunk leaks and water gets in, front passenger window does not close properly, something seems to be leaking near the front drivers side, mechanic told me I should get new rear springs about a year ago (planned on doing that myself), car has 145k miles on it, needs new brakes and rotors (I have the equipment) and biggest of all, I had a small accident that locked up the seat belt and the passenger airbag light is blinking (airbags did not deploy).

However, I did get a new clutch that cost over a grand, the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced that cost 800-ish, a new catalytic converter for 600-ish and I repaired my headliner for 200.

A part of me wants to keep the car because of how much I put into it, but now I'm wondering if I am in a Sunk Cost Fallacy Situation. Maybe its time fore that 5.0 Mustang.

Thanks for any insight.

Good Side: https://imgur.com/a/mNJwyni
Bad Side: https://imgur.com/a/3ZG3hR1

Old 11-19-2021, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. if you have a friend who has a frame system that can check your frame to make sure it is not tweeked, then if may be worth keeping and replacing all the damaged parts from a salvage yard. if your have no one who can check the frame i'd get another car. or with all the other items needing attention, time for newer vehicle. my own opinion. just for info a honda accord can give you up to 500k miles. seen a few with high miles still running well.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:51 PM

I do have a bus mechanic friend that I could ask, and a part of me does want to keep this car forever considering how much money I have put into it, but I also do want my mustang lol. Any idea of how much it would cost to repair my seat belt?

Old 11-20-2021, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

on my seat belt, drivers side on my 90 accord, i took the piller plastic off and found the mechanism in the piller, removed it and freed the weight that locks up the belt and reinstalled. no problems after that. if you need you can also pick this up at a salvage yard or order it from a ebay that has parts for your vehicle. they all have emails to ask

Old 11-21-2021, 11:42 AM

Did you notice the big frame piece is bent?
The control arm that is circled in yellow moved because the frame it is attached to is bent.
Look at where the red T is in the word BENT
You can see where the frame is bent.
That would require quite bit of ingenuity to fix.
Good luck